• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Opamps for servos in tube amps - Christmas gift from LT, 12-12-12!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I got e-mail from LT today, looks interesting.

Since the chip draws low current, and slew rate is not very impressive, I would hesitate to spoil tube signal path by them, but it is a great candidate to be used in servos, when vacuum tubes are directly coupled, like in my Pyramids. The opamp has MOSFET inputs, and can run from up to 140V!

LTC6090 - 140V CMOS Rail-to-Rail Output, Picoamp Input Current Op Amp - Linear Technology

I ordered samples, it will be a great Christmas gift!

Quote:
"I got e-mail from LT today, looks interesting".

Ditto,
I posted the same link over at Ampage. You could use it for output tube drive (if its not against your religion) not just bias servo (10mA source/sink capability). Interest there was also in the simple 100W MOSFET Amp shown on p 19 of the datasheet. Only available in surface mount which is a bit of a bummer.
Cheers,
Ian

Last edited:
Wavebourn's method is better than a button. A button would require a very long-term hold (hours), or at least separate arrangements every time you switch on. At most his method need only remember the voltage for the length of a CD.

Less, actually: it had shorter time constant on soft volume than on high volume. No need for silence, about 5W for 100W amp is a good threshold to switch from 5 seconds to 300 seconds approximately. On 5W power idle and average currents are almost the same.

My thought was that if someone had CDs with continuous compressed pop with dynamic range of about 1dB then the bias circuit would not be able to do anything until the CD finished (74 mins max?). Real music of course has much more variation so plenty of opportunity to adjust bias.

I don't think for such music precise bias matters. Class B will be fine, no sounds decay. :)

Typically bias servos for Class AB clamp the current monitor signal at 2 x the idle current before averaging.
Menno/Guido do this a bit differently. They use more gain and a much narrower clamp window about the desired operating point.
Like this:

and Rob did his own variation here:
http://rmsacoustics.nl/rmsacoustics/tubeamp/tuba_bias-circuits.html

Cheers,
Ian

Attachments

• BServo.jpg
    BServo.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.