• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

choke regulated power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: It's free...

dhaen said:
But you need a PC to run it...

I think he means a Windoz PC ... i wonder if he would be interested in a port to UNIX, i just loaded up the new X-Code that ships with Panther. I'll probably start with something more familiar thou like a speaker modeling program (i have one in my head screaming to get out).

It seems to run fine under VirtualPC (with the exception that it has a yukky Windoz feel to it :))

dave

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I just want to make it quite clear...

A choke doesn't regulate a supply - you need valves or semiconductors for that. However, a choke input supply smooths quite effectively, and although it drops lots of volts, it draws an almost constant current from the transformer. (If the choke had infinite inductance, it would draw constant current.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: I just want to make it quite clear...

EC8010 said:
a choke input supply smooths quite effectively

Attachments

• capvrschokeinpute.gif
    capvrschokeinpute.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 334
A choke doesn't regulate a supply

This is a reply to what statement???

But since you did make this statement.

I as a dimwit moron have this statement:

If I believe books on PSU design..than a choke input psu supplies BETTER regulation than a cap input psu....well maybe just semantics...since the choke itself does not supply regulation but a choke input supply...but If you want to state things like that..a tube itself will not provide regulation either... unless it is properly setup in a circuit, therefore a choke CAN supply regulation from which follows that it is neither nonsense nor marketing that a "choke" can provide regulation....

Cheers,
Bas

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Terminology is important if it makes people part with their money...

Hello Bas, it was a reply to the first poster's first line. When you read your books in more detail, you will find that load regulation is a term applied to the change in output voltage with load current, but takes no account of what might be inside the supply. Above its critical current, a choke input supply has better load regulation than a capacitor input supply, bit it is not a regulator. A regulator requires an active device and feedback. A choke is a passive device, so I'm afraid it is nonsense to say that a choke provides regulation.

The whole issue would be trivial if it wasn't for the fact that the phrase "choke-regulator" implies a property that the circuit does not actually have. Technical terms are supposed to aid the buyer in understanding what they are paying for, so their mis-use must be stamped out.

it is not a regulator
I'll accept that.....

But in the sense that your voltage would vary less under different loads...as maybe in a Class B audio amplifier....the PSU with choke input as a whole does provide better regulation...does it not?

I still do not FULLY understand why then could you not claim that a PSU does provide excellent load regulation due to the choke?

Regards,
Bas

Semantics...

Regulator is a frequently misused term. Take a series pass element (valve or semiconductor) that is referenced to a zener. That is not a regulator but a stabiliser. Also a "gas regulator" is a stabiliser.
But that is really only playing with semantics.
The "choke regulator" is pure mis-description to gain commercial advantage.

Bas Horneman said:
No... a Gas Regulator is a Voltage Regulator...why else would they call them VR tubes?? Huh!

..snip..
Huh:D For the same reason that the white thing on your wall that warms you is called a "radiator", when it's really a convector. People are just stupid....:xeye:

NB I make all kinds of semantic mistakes too, but luckily I'm not considered enough of a authority on anything for them to have reached the dictionary:clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.