Anyone Using Guiguang 300b tubes? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2012, 02:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone Using Guiguang 300b tubes?

Any negative characteristics to sound?

Generally what to they sound like?
Old 12th December 2012, 02:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

There are threads on this - use the search function....
Old 12th December 2012, 03:30 AM   #3
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
I've yet to hear a 300B that I didn't like. They all sound good. It's a good thing that 300B are so cheap. Even if you don't like the sound, you can use them as regulators in power supply.
Old 12th December 2012, 10:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Cheap?? 300b has always been overpriced. I'd avoid all the Russian ones and go Chinese - they've all been pretty good for me over many years.
Old 12th December 2012, 11:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
Cheap?? 300b has always been overpriced. I'd avoid all the Russian ones and go Chinese - they've all been pretty good for me over many years.
$30 for such a linear tube isn't bad at all. Yes, my JJ 300B and my Chinese 300B have never failed. DHTs seem to last a very long time. The RCA 45's that I'm using have been used since the 1930s and sounds amazing.

Joel, I can make pretty much all 300B sound similar to each other by adjusting the voltage, bias current, and taps on my output transformer (dampening factor). I'm using a Tubelab SE which has a strong low impedance drive and it negates the differences between various 300B tubes. If you're using an old school 6SN7 driver then the differences between tubes will be greater. Then the input capacitance of the particular 300B can affect the frequency response, etc.

I'd say get a cheap and reliable Chinese tube and just be done with it.
Old 12th December 2012, 11:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Very few 300bs cost $30!!! And I think you're being optimistic about lifetime. At stated operating conditions not exceeding the datasheet, they can go down to half emissions in a year of frequent use - like listening most of the day. I've stopped buying ebay ones stating "light use" because they're usually halfway through their lifetime. I wish they lasted longer, but in frequent use they don't - unlike good rectifiers or small preamp tubes, for instance.
Old 12th December 2012, 02:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
$30 for such a linear tube isn't bad at all. Yes, my JJ 300B and my Chinese 300B have never failed. DHTs seem to last a very long time. The RCA 45's that I'm using have been used since the 1930s and sounds amazing.

Joel, I can make pretty much all 300B sound similar to each other by adjusting the voltage, bias current, and taps on my output transformer (dampening factor). I'm using a Tubelab SE which has a strong low impedance drive and it negates the differences between various 300B tubes. If you're using an old school 6SN7 driver then the differences between tubes will be greater. Then the input capacitance of the particular 300B can affect the frequency response, etc.

I'd say get a cheap and reliable Chinese tube and just be done with it.
Quote: I'd say get a cheap and reliable Chinese tube and just be done with it
With Chinese tubes we have to be lucky, because some are reliable and some are not.

The reason is that some Chinese workers are good, with years of experience in mounting tubes, and others are novices without the ability to do a good job.
For this I prefer Russian Military tubes.
Old 12th December 2012, 04:44 PM   #8
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
Very few 300bs cost $30!!! And I think you're being optimistic about lifetime. At stated operating conditions not exceeding the datasheet, they can go down to half emissions in a year of frequent use - like listening most of the day. I've stopped buying ebay ones stating "light use" because they're usually halfway through their lifetime. I wish they lasted longer, but in frequent use they don't - unlike good rectifiers or small preamp tubes, for instance.
I've had several pairs of JJ 300B purchased around 2000 that have many thousands of hours of use, and still have one pair that I will use in another amplifier project (sold old 300B stereo amp, offer was right). These have been unfailingly reliable and still tested very good the last time I checked them on my Hickok 539B tube tester. In use the bias almost never has to be adjusted with these particular tubes. A really good 300B should give you something like 10000 hour service life based on experience, although very few modern ones will.

I am not sure about the quality of current JJ 300B, but I have former clients who have purchased current production in the past couple of years and report no issues to date. They appear to be the same, and unlike many of their beam tubes have been consistently OK wrt to build quality.

I recommend anyone buying 300B buy them as burned in matched pairs - should save a lot of grief and has worked well for me.

No experience with the Guigang tubes. My recollection is that Guigang was a short lived start up, ran out of money and was recently acquired by someone else. (The people behind ps**** ?)

TJ and Sophia made dhts have been pretty nice IMLE so another few to check out.
Old 12th December 2012, 07:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

According to what I read in another forum, Guiguang went out of business and its people formed a new company called Psvane. I can't find any user feedback on their entry level 300B tubes yet.
Old 12th December 2012, 11:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Seems Guiguang has taken by the hi priced audiophile PSVANE brand in October2011.
So Shuguang factory no more made the PSVANE tubes, which is a good thing for Psvane tubes.

An announcement: Who was GuiGuang? | Psvane Audio Tubes, Caps and Amps

Hide this!Advertise here!