The Morgan Jones mini tube headphone Amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2012, 01:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The Morgan Jones mini tube headphone Amplifier

I want to build The Optimized Morgan Jones Amplifier but I have question about output cap beacuse I want to use film instead lytic: the schematic uses 470uF 350V, really is necessary so big or I can use a small film cap like 27uf or 10uF or less?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th December 2012, 02:25 PM   #2
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

Too small a capacitor and you will have bass rolloff. Figure input impedance of headphones and calculate the rolloff with selected capacitor.

Jam
Old 8th December 2012, 02:30 PM   #3
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

First-order continuous-time implementation

Figure 1: A passive, analog, first-order high-pass filter, realized by an RC circuit
The simple first-order electronic high-pass filter shown in Figure 1 is implemented by placing an input voltage across the series combination of a capacitor and a resistor and using the voltage across the resistor as an output. The product of the resistance and capacitance (R×C) is the time constant (τ); it is inversely proportional to the cutoff frequency fc, that is,

where fc is in hertz, τ is in seconds, R is in ohms, and C is in farads.
Attached Images
File Type: png 210px-High_pass_filter.svg.png (1.8 KB, 912 views)

Last edited by jam; 8th December 2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 8th December 2012, 02:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I calculate 265uF for a load of 300 ohms (HD600), do you know if I can substitute the cathode resistor/capacitor with a 1.9-2.0-2.1V 20mA LED?

Last edited by merlin el mago; 8th December 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 8th December 2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

Here you go...

But when you want my opinion you'd better spend the money on output transformers than trying to pass the audio signal through humongous film capacitors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6922_MJ_ledbias.jpg (147.8 KB, 925 views)
Old 8th December 2012, 03:23 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I once built a version of this amplifier - using a triode-connected EF86 on the front end, but with the same 6922 back-end - I did use electrolytics on the output, bypassed with Dayton polypropolenes. Really, it sounded quite good and certainly changed my mind about the "sound of electrolytics". If I remember correctly, I just used some Panasonics from Digikey.
Old 8th December 2012, 03:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks Stixx, I'm currently using the Valve Wizard mu-follower, I'm satisfied but I received advice that my Senhs HD600 plays better with an output impedance of 120 ohms, the mu-follower I'm using have an output impedance of 257 ohms so to big also I know HD600 have an output impedance of 300 ohms so the question is: wich value of SE output line transformer have I to install?, mu-follower schematic:

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by merlin el mago; 8th December 2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 8th December 2012, 03:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstagger View Post
I once built a version of this amplifier - using a triode-connected EF86 on the front end, but with the same 6922 back-end - I did use electrolytics on the output, bypassed with Dayton polypropolenes. Really, it sounded quite good and certainly changed my mind about the "sound of electrolytics". If I remember correctly, I just used some Panasonics from Digikey.
I eard people used EF86 for MM phono preamp with great success.
Old 8th December 2012, 03:40 PM   #9
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

A weakness of that MJ circuit is that it uses electrolytics to set the LF rolloffs. This is the most likely scenario to make electrolytic distortion a problem. Add an input coupling cap to set the LF rolloff, then ensure that the electrolytics are big enough to have very little signal voltage across them.
Old 8th December 2012, 03:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Before the pot? Wich value?

Hide this!Advertise here!