• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Morgan Jones mini tube headphone Amplifier

Joined 2009
Paid Member
May be better to build it as it is, then upgrade it later. A common mistake made by inexperienced folk is to want their first ever build to be so perfect that they will never need to change it. The result can be frustration for them and us, as it doesn't work but they can't tell us exactly what they have done - all we know is that it is different from the published circuit.

I don't like solder and desolder that's the reason I ask advice, I know LED sound because I used, I only need to know or better how can I calculate the LEDs values?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
... risk of be damaged....

not one bit
its only a problem with printboards
but this kind of work you can desolder and solder a hundred times, as much you like
and it will still look fresh and new, like the first time

but without practice and experience.... yes, then you are right about it

any photos of a similar build ?

ehh, btw, power supply says 100ma
wouldn't that be big enough for a power amp ? :scratch:

1. To change a design you first need to understand the design.
2. The alternative is to ask someone else to take the time and trouble to understand the design for you, then tell you how to change it.

1 is called DIY. 2 is called consultancy.

We have guided you to some understanding on CR first-order high-pass filters. Now I suggest you investigate valve biasing and load lines.

Hola Merlin.

I have a similar build using Nichicon 470uF/450V caps, and the result is very good.

I am using an external regulated-variable power supply and 6F8G bottles, so it can not be called "mini" amplifier :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(the front cover is still provisional)

Last edited:
Can I use 100R for R4, I'm using ECC88 in place of 6DJ8? I only have 120R of 1/4W can be enough?
Should be okay, but better parallel two 220R 1/4W...
C3 can be 2000uF in place of 2200uF?
Yes, it can be as small as 470uF. 2200uF is calculated for a low frequency of under 1Hz or so (from the top of my head), so 470uF is good. Tip: use 2x220uF Oscon... a worthwhile improvement.
Could I use LEDs in place of cathode RC?
Yes, in the first stage. Don't know about using LED's in Cathode Followers...
Didn't I send you my schematic of the Morgan Jones with LED bias...?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Should be okay, but better parallel two 220R 1/4W...

OK

Yes, it can be as small as 470uF. 2200uF is calculated for a low frequency of under 1Hz or so (from the top of my head), so 470uF is good. Tip: use 2x220uF Oscon... a worthwhile improvement.

Perfect I have BG 220uF 16V

Yes, in the first stage. Don't know about using LED's in Cathode Followers...
Didn't I send you my schematic of the Morgan Jones with LED bias...?

Yes I see that you are using LEDs in the input tube but I have the same doubt like you to use it in the white cathode follower?

What about R7, somw people said 10K in place of 22K?

Last edited:

Here, download a copy of LTspice and have a play with these. Put the file 'dmtriode.inc' in the same directory (C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceIV) you put the 'MJ_6DJ8_optimized.asc' file in. Open the .asc file, right click on the schematic and select run. The simulation will run. Click on Vout to see the sinewave. Rightclick on the sinewave and select 'View\FFT' to see the FFT. You can substitute values or put in an LED and see the effect. Go 'View/Spice Error Log' (after running the Transient simulation) to see the THD. If you right click and select 'Edit Simulation Cmd.' you can simulate the AC (frequency) response or find the DC operating point.

View attachment Morgan_Jones_headamp_optimized.zip