diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   I Wasn't Away That Long, What's WIth The Price Hikes On All My Old Toys? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/225214-i-wasnt-away-long-whats-price-hikes-all-my-old-toys.html)

Ogien 7th December 2012 09:34 PM

I Wasn't Away That Long, What's WIth The Price Hikes On All My Old Toys?

I know this may sound like a stupid question but I've been out of the loop, regarding stereos, tube amps, tube pre-amps and various tube amplifier kits.

Since I recently regained my passion for all this stuff I started browsing eBay and Google and several of the online retailers that are still in business from my bookmarks.

Case in point, maybe 2 or 3 years ago I purchased the kit amplifier pictured below.
http://www.coffeecupdemocrat.com/wp-...tAmplifier.jpg

When I bought it I paid $39 plus shipping. Today I went to see if that kit was still available and I noticed that they expanded the line a bit but what really caught my attention is that my $39 8 Watts per channel tube amplifier kit is now selling right around the $200 point? What?

I'm serious, could someone please fill me in on what happened to make the prices for these things to jump sky high in a relatively short amount of time?

Next there is eBay and everyone who has any type of tube amp or pre-amp listed it with "Vintage" listed in the title. Some of those "amplifiers" looked like they were buried in the ground for the last 10 years and yet they are being bid on and actual bidding wars take place. I saw some amp go for over $270 and it was complete junk. I mean I've been buying audio gear at garage sales (some really fantastic gear at that) since I was 12 years old and that amp that sold for $270 wouldn't get a second look from anyone back then. I can't explain just how horrible this amplifier was, just horrible. Naturally no tubes included, some of the wiring broken and the transformer half eaten by rust.

Guys, please, I'm begging you. Please tell me what calamity transpired in the 2-3 years that I was away from audio gear that cause prices to explode and everyone else collectively losing their spit?

I hadn't thought about the Bottlehead Foreplay in many years but since I was looking up kits I thought I'd see how much my first project was selling for now. I was extremely disappointed that the Bottlehead Foreplay (the original) is gone and replaced by the Foreplay II and then the Foreplay III and a much higher price point.

I'm kinda kicking myself for selling my Foreplay a few years ago as I could really use a decent per-amplifier right now.

It seems like there aren't any decent kits out there for less than $150 and that is really depressing cause sometimes you just want to buy a kit for the fun of building it and at that price that's a little expensive as just a fun afternoon activity.

Edit: If anyone has an extra tube for the pictured kit amplifier that you can spare than please PM me and we'll figure something out. Unfortunately one of my tubes broke when I was moving so I need to replace it. Also, if you happen to have a good idea for a nice enclosure/case to mount it in than please let me know.

DF96 7th December 2012 09:41 PM

Many things on ebay are now more expensive than they used to be. In some cases they are more expensive than buying in a shop or from a dealer. Yes, there are people who will pay more for an item from an unknown seller with no warranty than they could get it from a dealer.

Audio has now become a 'lifestyle' option so it attracts people with money but little knowledge.

MrCurwen 7th December 2012 09:43 PM

What tube is that?

12B4A 7th December 2012 10:27 PM

10GV8?

bigwill 7th December 2012 10:28 PM

ECL82 or similar, surely

Ogien 8th December 2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DF96 (Post 3275202)
Many things on ebay are now more expensive than they used to be. In some cases they are more expensive than buying in a shop or from a dealer. Yes, there are people who will pay more for an item from an unknown seller with no warranty than they could get it from a dealer.

Audio has now become a 'lifestyle' option so it attracts people with money but little knowledge.

Well eBay has always been a double edged sword, there are deals to be had but there are also people who get caught up in bidding wars and drive prices up. Ebay isn't the major point for me though. The amp pictured above I bought from an online retailed a couple of years ago for roughly $40. It's a really nice little amp but I was blown away when I started checking up on things and found that the amp sells for right around $200 and that's not an eBay price either.

Just wow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrCurwen (Post 3275205)
What tube is that?

I really hope that 12B4A & bigwill are right about the tube in question because I honestly haven't a clue.

It's strange but the remaining tubes I have for it have absolutely no markings of any type on them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12B4A (Post 3275276)
10GV8?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigwill (Post 3275277)
ECL82 or similar, surely

BTW, if you two are right about what tube that is then you've just saved me a ton of homework in the form of research.

I've seen that amp mentioned here before. It's the 8 watts Stereo Audio Amp and I believe it's from the same line as the KG amp kits though I could be remembering that wrong so don't take it a gospel.

Ogien 8th December 2012 12:16 AM

I hope it's OK if I post a link but I'm 95% certain that I found exactly which amplifier I have.

Almost positive it's the S-5 Electronics K-12M Tube Amplifier Kit.

K-12M Tube Amplifier Kit

If it's not exactly the K-12 then it's from the same family which means that the tubes will likely be standardized between the brother amps, at least that's how it looks to me.

freax 8th December 2012 12:27 AM

Its the end of the world dude, I'm fully preparing for mad max down here and getting my XT500 out of storage...

I was put off that kit because it was $200 when Scott17's kit was $299 without transformers or chassis... http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendo...aster-kit.html

Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast you wanna go?"

Ogien 8th December 2012 12:42 AM

I like you guys. You're all completely crazy but I like it. I'm a newb to this site in case it wasn't painfully obvious.

Freax, Tube Audio meet NatGeo's Doomsday Preppers. I like it, it has pizzaz.

brucetassin 8th December 2012 12:46 AM

I bought that same amp in 2007 for $140.00 from tubes and more. JMO, your memory may be faulty. Things are more expensive now and it will get worse.