• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is it Overkill to use Duelund Caps in Power Stage (Counterpoint SA-5.1)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi people,

I have a Counterpoint SA-5.1 pre-amplifier in my system which has phono and line stage upgrades performed by Mike Elliott. He used TRT Dynamicaps which are fairly good.

Now I want to change the power stage caps which are 0.47u at the right hand side of the chassis. My question is, is it overkill to use a Duelund CAST PIO cap (or similar) in the power stage, which I assume, is not in the direct audio line?

Any comments are appreciated...

Attachments

• Counterpoint SA-5.1_Firo_01.jpg
    Counterpoint SA-5.1_Firo_01.jpg
    987.1 KB · Views: 348
You could go with Mundorf M Tube Caps or Clarity TC series caps to replace the electrolytics, but they are much larger and probably won't fit where the orig. caps are. I would only use more expensive caps as output coupling caps, and even then Duelund are crazy expensive....

Hi, I mean the blue capacitors at the right hand side of the chassis, especially the bigger two. That part of the SA-5.1 pcb is the "High Voltage Regulator" section and the only un-touched part of my pre. That's why I thought I should upgrade them.

By saying "electrolytics" do you mean Dynamicaps?

Thank you all, for your helps. I really appreciate it. One final question about this topic.

Below pic is the section of pcb we are talking about. I -almost- decided on V-CAP TFTF caps. I'll buy 2* 0.47uf - 300 VDC TFTF and 2* 1uf - 300 VDC OIMP (since 1uf TFTF are rather big and expensive).

Now that's leave behind the upper two. What should I do for them? They are 110uf - 100V and 10uf - 400V caps. ClarityCap, AuriCap and some others have 10uf - 400V caps but I haven't seen any 110uf - 100V cap.

Attachments

• Counterpoint SA-5.1_Firo_04.jpg
    Counterpoint SA-5.1_Firo_04.jpg
    881.2 KB · Views: 163
I must thank thoroughly to the people participated to this thread. From their replies I understand that I'm making some *small* mistake.

I said before, I know little about electronics so I just realized that I don't need 0.47uf caps but 220uf caps. Because I was thinking that, "0.47uf" title is representing both the small white cap AND the blue big cap under it. I just learned that what "cap bypass" means :) Sorry folks for taking your time. This thread was a BIG mistake, but I learned a lot... :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.