Point to point or pcb? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2012, 07:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Point to point or pcb?

Hi,
Sonically which are better amps, ones that are p2p wired or pcb based?
Old 6th December 2012, 08:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

PCB of course, especially with red laminate

Seriously; there can not be any difference, if both are well designed and built.
Old 6th December 2012, 08:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

In my book it's six to one and half a dozen to the other. There's really no difference. Both require careful layout oor best performance.
Old 6th December 2012, 08:10 PM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Yes, you can make good and bad amps both ways. Given the big temperature changes I would expect a valve amp to be a bit more reliable when wired P2P as this gives more flexibility to cope with thermal expansion. However, for the inexperienced constructor a well-designed PCB (designed by someone experienced i.e. a kit) might avoid some problems.
Old 6th December 2012, 08:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If only one amplifier is built and if the design is not fully tested, point to point is the only meaningful construction.
Old 6th December 2012, 08:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

PCBs are okay if you can squeeze in that extra large can cap you wanted to. Point to point without helping hands or at least a Panavise is just horrible to work with.

I would have to say if you like to swap things out and mod/change/swap things around to change whatever you are outputting, then so long as the copper trace is a good one on a nice PCB, than a PCB it is is easier than point to point.

Point to point done well, can really look like a masterpiece sculpture.

Otherwise, I can't tell the difference if two amps were done with in one of each.
Old 6th December 2012, 08:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ptp certainly. Especially if on a teflon board using good quality stand-offs. Not sure if it's because of the vibrational properties of the board or the wire with better dielectric - i mostly use copper/silver inside teflon or cotton tubing. Not to mention shorter connections and better star earthing.
Old 6th December 2012, 08:42 PM   #8
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

IIRC Teflon is an excellent low-loss dielectric for UHF and microwaves. I guess your amplifiers have an extended bandwidth?
Old 6th December 2012, 09:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I love circuit boards - but sadly mostly build p2p since just about everything is a one-off.
Old 6th December 2012, 09:32 PM   #10
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Given a good layout (either P2P or PCB) there shouldn't be any performance difference between the two. However, there are many ways to screw up and arrive at a poor layout. I put considerable effort into the PCBs I make to ensure good signal integrity.

For making several identical circuits, PCBs can't be beat. For prototyping, P2P is rather nice.

I tend to prototype in P2P rat's nests (i.e. not optimal layouts by any stretch of imagination) and notice the mains hum drop significantly when the circuit is transferred to a PCB.

~Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!