diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Point to point or pcb? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/225141-point-point-pcb.html)

Edwar65 6th December 2012 07:52 PM

Point to point or pcb?

Hi,
Sonically which are better amps, ones that are p2p wired or pcb based?

artosalo 6th December 2012 08:03 PM

PCB of course, especially with red laminate :D

Seriously; there can not be any difference, if both are well designed and built.

HollowState 6th December 2012 08:08 PM

In my book it's six to one and half a dozen to the other. There's really no difference. Both require careful layout oor best performance.

DF96 6th December 2012 08:10 PM

Yes, you can make good and bad amps both ways. Given the big temperature changes I would expect a valve amp to be a bit more reliable when wired P2P as this gives more flexibility to cope with thermal expansion. However, for the inexperienced constructor a well-designed PCB (designed by someone experienced i.e. a kit) might avoid some problems.

artosalo 6th December 2012 08:16 PM

If only one amplifier is built and if the design is not fully tested, point to point is the only meaningful construction.

overtheairbroadcast 6th December 2012 08:35 PM

PCBs are okay if you can squeeze in that extra large can cap you wanted to. Point to point without helping hands or at least a Panavise is just horrible to work with.

I would have to say if you like to swap things out and mod/change/swap things around to change whatever you are outputting, then so long as the copper trace is a good one on a nice PCB, than a PCB it is is easier than point to point.

Point to point done well, can really look like a masterpiece sculpture.

Otherwise, I can't tell the difference if two amps were done with in one of each.

analog_sa 6th December 2012 08:36 PM

Ptp certainly. Especially if on a teflon board using good quality stand-offs. Not sure if it's because of the vibrational properties of the board or the wire with better dielectric - i mostly use copper/silver inside teflon or cotton tubing. Not to mention shorter connections and better star earthing.

DF96 6th December 2012 08:42 PM

IIRC Teflon is an excellent low-loss dielectric for UHF and microwaves. I guess your amplifiers have an extended bandwidth?

kstagger 6th December 2012 09:20 PM

I love circuit boards - but sadly mostly build p2p since just about everything is a one-off.

tomchr 6th December 2012 09:32 PM

Given a good layout (either P2P or PCB) there shouldn't be any performance difference between the two. However, there are many ways to screw up and arrive at a poor layout. I put considerable effort into the PCBs I make to ensure good signal integrity.

For making several identical circuits, PCBs can't be beat. For prototyping, P2P is rather nice.

I tend to prototype in P2P rat's nests (i.e. not optimal layouts by any stretch of imagination) and notice the mains hum drop significantly when the circuit is transferred to a PCB.

~Tom