Found Original Genalex 12AX7..Need Advice.. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2012, 03:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Found Original Genalex 12AX7..Need Advice..

Hello,
I purchased a large lot of vacuum tubes through a CL ad about a year ago. Among them were many rare and valuable tubes. I thought i had set aside all the rare ones. I decided to go through them again and i found an original Genalex 12AX7 (B759). It is still wrapped in plastic and is in amazing condition. I am going to sell it on that auction site most likely. I need funds for a DIY project.

Question:
Should i open this tube (take out of plastic) and test it on my TV-7 or leave it sealed? I have no doubt that it will test OK but i am just wondering what it would do to the value. Would a collector rather have it sealed or tested? Just wondering which option would be best..

Thanks so much,
Madison R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0004.jpg (478.0 KB, 81 views)
Old 6th December 2012, 03:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you can see the getter, and I think you can, to verify that it has not gone to air, I say leave it sealed and sell it that way. Make mention that the getter flashing is good and include a picture of it as best you can.
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when it's components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." ~Stephen Hawking
Old 6th December 2012, 04:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Don't put it under your pillow for the tooth fairy to find.
Don't rip the lip of the lid when trying to open it.
Don't give it to children to play with.

Do take as many photos of it as you can and put those photos on the auction site. Photos sell.
Do wrap it in bubble wrap loosely as soon as said bubbly wrap is available to you..NOT TOO TIGHT!
Do give it at least 1 inch thick of bubble wrap before you put it in the box when you are shipping it.
Do accept payment via paypal only.
Do send it via Registered airmail with tracking, no exceptions.

Last edited by freax; 6th December 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:00 PM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Remember that in some parts of the world it will be known as GEC, as it was (probably) made by GEC in the UK. Genalex was the brand they used in the US, presumably to avoid confusion with GE. I say probably, because they also sold valves made by Mullard.

Hide this!Advertise here!