• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PP KT88 Amp Low frequency Ringing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I noticed today that when on the scope, my mono KT88 amp has some "ringing". It only occurs on the lower half of the waveform when the amp is working at medium levels and beyond. It actually seems to get better when the amp is clipping slightly. It is more prominent at low frequencies say 100Hz down but I think may still be there at higher frequencies.

I need to double checked but I don't believe the other amp has the same issue.

Swapped power tubes and preamp tubes with no change.

Photo 1: Medium Drive
DSCN6125.jpg

Photo 2: Diven into Slight Clipping
DSCN6127.jpg

Any Ideas?

yup....Zobels missing in the o/p stage UL..or something way out with the global feedback components....... Worth squarewaving the amp at 1kHz at medium o/p level as this will show the ringing more clearly. You don't mention if the instability (which it is) occurs with a dummy output load or with LS. Big difference as LS's are reactive.

richy

Hi everyone thanks for the posts.

I will be looking at the second amp tonight and see if it suffers from the same issue. altough I dont think it does.

I do not have any resistors on the screens of the KT88. Maybe that will help.

NFB is around 15 dB with a small value cap across the feedback resistor. I think 68pf off the top of my head.

Unfortunatly I dont have my suare wave oscialator right now. Using an old Tek SG505.

More to come tonight..

Any more thoughts are apprciated

Looks familiar!

Check out this thread. Most all of what mentioned here was tried with no effect on cleaning up the waveform. It ended up being something fundamentally wrong with the PCB layout or the initial design of the input section of the amp.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/207341-need-help-new-amp-build-ugly-signals.html

Had to try all the common fixes before accidentally finding something that corrected the problem (and possibly not the correct fix)

Sandy

Last edited:
1) You need to disconnect NFB and look if oscillation continues. If yes, this is problem of output stage (is it UL???), very likely related to transformer characteristics/design. Also, as you should add grid stoppers as wisely suggested by other forum members.

2) If oscillation stops with GNFB off, you may try to decrease it let's say by 3 dB and see what happens next.

PS. Please post a schematic, blind disgnostic is not the best solution.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.