breaking in audio capacitors - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2012, 01:53 AM   #191
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link to tomchr's site. It led me to getting the complete manuals for my HP3563, which did not come with the unit.
I seriously doubt that you will be able to measure 'break-in' with any available test equipment. It is just too limited, even though the ear seems to detect it.
Old 10th December 2012, 02:19 AM   #192
diyAudio Member

or, just as a basic lets see test, how about an input to your sound card and record the "unbroken in" signal.

Wave whatever esoteric timeframe you want over the DUT, then repeat the above.

Subtract the second signal from the first and see if there is any significant (key word) difference...

Rinse and repeat.

Enter argument about the lack of resolution of sound cards and the horror of digitisation at this point.
Old 10th December 2012, 02:58 AM   #193
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
I seriously doubt that you will be able to measure 'break-in' with any available test equipment. It is just too limited, even though the ear seems to detect it.
"There's a dragon in my garage."
Old 10th December 2012, 03:01 AM   #194
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you are going to break barriers, it is best to not be told what is impossible. '-)
and
I had to point it out, but really can't think of anything to add. Or needs to be.

I only know him from this forum, but I like John C, even if some of his methodology make me tilt my head to the side and wrinkle my brow.
Old 10th December 2012, 04:21 AM   #195
diyAudio Member

Quote:
We have equipment that can see and manipulate individual atoms to equipment that can see billions of light years into the universe. You're going to tell me nobody is capable of documenting this phenomenon that only a handful of people with golden ears can vouch for?

If you feel our equipment is too limited, then do you have any suggestions as to what would be required?
Old 10th December 2012, 04:58 AM   #196
diyAudio Member

There is no 'money' in making these sorts of measurements, so they are not made, at least in the audio realm. The equipment cost is too much, AND even if we made these measurements, some have, we are told that the results are faked or poorly gotten. You can't win, except to listen for yourself.
Old 10th December 2012, 08:27 AM   #197
diyAudio Member

lolz.

There would be HUGE money in making these measurements. As long as they confirmed a positive effect. It would certainly be cheaper than the marketing ******** and spin that passes for customer enlightenment in the relevant magazines.

The equipment already exists, and there are labs enough to do it, if asked.

All it lacks is will.

And integrity.
Old 10th December 2012, 08:47 AM   #198
diyAudio Member

So does this mean we can measure capacitor break-in, that given suitable apparatus, it is possible? Logically, the next step is to define the apparatus required to duplicate audible results with scientific results, I'm interested to know how this could be done.
Old 10th December 2012, 09:16 AM   #199
dewets is offline dewets  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Can you buy snake-oil?
I'd like 5 liters please to submerse the audio caps in prior to soldering them in place...
Old 10th December 2012, 10:14 AM   #200
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewets View Post
Can you buy snake-oil?
I'd like 5 liters please to submerse the audio caps in prior to soldering them in place...
Oh no, you must pay for snake oil by the ounce or millilitre:

SNAKE OIL - WIN IN COURT PROTECTION HELP MONEY PROBLEMS SPELL Wicca Witch Goth | eBay

Hide this!Advertise here!