breaking in audio capacitors - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2012, 08:03 PM   #171
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Please, no hammer. There are still some of us who like the BGs, Either sell or donate if you don't care to use them.
Old 8th December 2012, 11:24 PM   #172
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

those polypropylene round caps are so strong that we tried running them over the dumptruck wheels.....the cap survive the ordeal without issues, the caps were Plessey caps out of Australia....
Old 9th December 2012, 12:19 AM   #173
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
those polypropylene round caps are so strong that we tried running them over the dumptruck wheels.....the cap survive the ordeal without issues, the caps were Plessey caps out of Australia....
Don't try that with electrolytic caps. I saw some at a junkyard that had been turned into "low profile" caps by that method. I didn't measure to make sure, but I'm pretty sure the electric properties of the cap were changed in the process.

~Tom
Old 9th December 2012, 12:38 AM   #174
diyAudio Member

Smile The buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
We 'break in' both caps and even entire amplifiers, because we have to, in order to make them sound their best. It is a reality for designers like me, who hate the very high effort that it takes to do so. It is NOT a marketing tool. In fact, IF we can, we design out any serious 'break-in' by alternate component selection, if practical and possible.
To shorten 'break-in' we might cryo the more sensitive components before assembly into the final product AND NOT tell the lay public or our competitors what we are doing.
This is the reality of serious hi end design that I live with day by day.
Well John just because you make a living for a long time designing very very goods pre-amps and amps some pontiff on the internet will say they know better . It is easier to claim it is psychoacoustic or some how a placebo in nature rather than admit it is a problem that is real and must be addressed for success . Doubting is good denial of the true is not. This reminds me of the bumblebee for the longest time aerospace engineers claimed that the bumblebee could not fly yet it did . Only after much examination after years did they figure out how it did fly . Break-in period for passives are the bumblebees of the curcuit so to speak.
Old 9th December 2012, 12:49 AM   #175
Phalanx is offline Phalanx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the trooper View Post
Hello all, I have a set of russian pio caps I. I am wondering if there is a way to break this in before I use them?

I understand what he's asking, stop breakin the guys balls people...

Traditionally you dont want to "break in" or run voltage/current through it when its not in the circuit... the circuit itself tends to do that as its working, and the longer it is being used the better it will sound...

for example if you cannibalize some parts from an old radio or Tv or somethin you found in the garbage, that circuit "broke-in" that capacitor... so it will work best for that, but if you put it in something else, it might be great... or it might have an a**load of noise or may be on its way out, and might not sound good for what you want.

Just put it right in and run your circuit... after a few hours of constant use ( I use 40 hours as rough estimate) the circuit is broken in.

hope this helps out.
Old 9th December 2012, 01:01 AM   #176
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triodethom View Post
This reminds me of the bumblebee for the longest time aerospace engineers claimed that the bumblebee could not fly yet it did . Only after much examination after years did they figure out how it did fly . Break-in period for passives are the bumblebees of the curcuit so to speak.
More so that you think.

Bumblebee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 9th December 2012, 04:14 AM   #177
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
Don't try that with electrolytic caps. I saw some at a junkyard that had been turned into "low profile" caps by that method. I didn't measure to make sure, but I'm pretty sure the electric properties of the cap were changed in the process.

~Tom
but of course..... ecaps have juices and plenty of air spaces inside the can....i can not imagine how those juices will not squirt out....
Old 9th December 2012, 05:47 AM   #178
diyAudio Member

"It is easier to claim it is psychoacoustic or some how a placebo in nature rather than admit it is a problem that is real and must be addressed for success."

The coronary being, its easy to claim (insert pseudo-scientific, audio-electrical effect here) is not able to be measured because (insert implausible reason for not having tested and verified the effect empirically, either directly or by dbt listening tests) and then rely on appeals to expertise/scarcity/vanity/(insert irrelevant appellant option here) to fend off having to answer valid questions.
Old 9th December 2012, 05:49 AM   #179
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
I understand what he's asking, stop breakin the guys balls people...

Traditionally you dont want to "break in" or run voltage/current through it when its not in the circuit... the circuit itself tends to do that as its working, and the longer it is being used the better it will sound...

for example if you cannibalize some parts from an old radio or Tv or somethin you found in the garbage, that circuit "broke-in" that capacitor... so it will work best for that, but if you put it in something else, it might be great... or it might have an a**load of noise or may be on its way out, and might not sound good for what you want.

Just put it right in and run your circuit... after a few hours of constant use ( I use 40 hours as rough estimate) the circuit is broken in.

hope this helps out.
Is there a face-palm smilie?
Old 9th December 2012, 02:42 PM   #180
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

The nice thing about the bumblebee myth is that it quickly flags the person who uses it as someone who doesn't bother to let facts get in the way of a convenient (but false) story. We can then ascribe the appropriate level of belief to other things they tell us.

Hide this!Advertise here!