breaking in audio capacitors - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2012, 02:16 PM   #91
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I stole a line from Steve Eddy and set my iPhone to say, "Sent from my TI-99."
Old 7th December 2012, 02:26 PM   #92
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Boring. What you need is to spoof an HP and type your replies in Reverse Polish.

(For our younger viewers: RP is not an Eastern European version of Cockney back-slang).
Old 7th December 2012, 02:37 PM   #93
Magz is offline Magz  United States
diyAudio Member

I never could tolerate RPN back in my college days. I always went for TI calcs...PChem was hard enough...
Old 7th December 2012, 03:46 PM   #94
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Make it a TI-59. Great magnetic strip reader.
Old 7th December 2012, 04:02 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Speaking of "breaking in" caps let's discuss "non polarized diodes"!
Old 7th December 2012, 04:36 PM   #96
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

When I was on the opposite end of the age scale (a child), I was convinced one could make a magnet out of anything - glass, wood, plastic, celery - anything. All that was necessary was to create a vacuum inside a sealed chunk of the stuff. Made perfect sense to a 6 year old.

Sometime later I was amazed at experiencing the magic of rubbing a screwdriver across a magnet and actually being able pick up thumbtacks with the screwdriver -WOW!. In High School, Mr. Hemstra taught me a little (he tried for more, but I had my mind on band practice) about molecular structure, magnetic fields and electricity. I have NO formal advanced scientific training (though my father was a metallurgist for Dow when they were trying to make pots and pans from magnesium - still have a skillet) but I do understand heat, cold, electricity, alloys, shape, size ...... all can and do influence every substance known to man.

So what....

Well, that's enough for me to be convinced every component - not just caps - can and will be effected by both heat and electricity. From this thread I'm attracted to the comments related to the "phases" of cap performance over time. Along with my ability to communicate with the "Little Blue People" who visit on occasion, I spent real money on a break-in CD that when used, produces a real or imagined - your choice - change in what I hear.

What I now believe is that CD and/or any other "break-in" procedure primarily shortens the time required to push a component into it's first stable "phase" of operation. In other words, if something is going to change in circuit, just do it a little faster. Some "sweetening" of audio equipment over longer periods has been reported by millions, but if one chooses to use any process to hasten that first "settling" of the quarks, (again - real or imagined - your choice) I don't see the harm. Some on this thread reject "burn-in" but promote "cap forming". I suspect those are two ways of describing that same initial "settling" caused by in-circuit dynamics.

It's very interesting to see how many times this topic pops up all over the forum. It always seems to end in something like "different strokes for different folks". I too am anxious for someone with the proper neuron composition to develop a device to expose "The Private Lives Of Capacitors"

So that's my two cents - real value to be determined by current exchange rate,

Last edited by bcmbob; 7th December 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 7th December 2012, 04:55 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Well said, bcm.
Old 7th December 2012, 05:00 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

Wait! You mean you CAN'T make a magnet out of celery?? Dammit! Iv'e wasted the last 30 years of my life!
Old 7th December 2012, 05:03 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

A couple of quotes from Walter Cronkite seem appropriate to the ongoing debate in this thread;
1. "In seeking truth you have to get both sides of a story".
2. "And that's the way it is on this.... on this 7th. day of December 2012"

Mickeystan
Old 7th December 2012, 07:15 PM   #100
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
Are you aware that such a generalization can sound offensive, are you?
I'm sorry if I ruffled your feathers. But I happen to be one of these weird fact based individuals who believe in the scientific process. I approach circuit design from an engineering point of view rather than taking the faith based approach used by some. If you're curious about my background, you can find my resume/CV on my website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
Sorry but, IMHO, blind test applied to audio are overrated and easily impaired by the researcher bias while preparing the experiment protocol.
You can't possibly be serious. We are talking about circuit changes that may/may not result in a change in the subjective perception of the sound quality. How are we to test this fairly without applying a double-blind test?

I agree that a single-blind test introduces bias as you point out. That's why scientists came up with the double-blind test. In a double-blind test, the person administering the test does not know what is tested, hence, cannot influence the test subjects. Of course the test subjects are "blind" as well. Furthermore, there should be no visual changes in the setup as this affects the perception of sound quality as well (yes, really!) This is why companies who take this seriously (B&O springs to mind) have the test subjects and the device under test separated by a sonically transparent curtain. You can see Floyd Toole's acoustics book for an example of how this is done for speaker tests.

~Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!