Psvane Replica RCA 2A3 tube - WR2A3 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2012, 09:12 AM   #21
DrRick is offline DrRick  United States
diyAudio Member

Why not just buy some "real" RCA 2A3's?
I have a few dozen RCA JAN 2A3's that I bought 30 years ago when they were much, much, less expensive ($10-$15 each). I use them single ended, PP, PPP and in a few custom built guitar amps.
My tweeter amps are clones of the Fi 2A3 amps and the 1930's-40's RCA's sound great in them. The Sylvania and Kenrad's are also really good.
I have a pair of single plate 2A3's that I try out every once in a while; in the tweeter amp they sound about the same as the dual plates.

I've had some unhappy, 4TH of July type of experiences with Chinese tubes, but in all fairness that was quite a few years ago, so they may well be more reliable then the ones I had.

It seems to me that you can probably get two pairs of RCA's (or Sylvania or Ken-Rads) and have change left over as opposed to the price of the PSVanes. Raytheon made a beautiful dual box plate 2A3 you may want to try. I haven't listened to them in years, so I can't speak about their sound in comparison to others. I can say that they also sounded great.
As J-ROB once said, I've never met a 2A3 I didn't like.

Did everyone in China once work for Shugang?

I don't think that the PSVanes have much in common with the RCA's beyond having four pins. Have they published curves for them?
DrRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
Ok so at present i like the 45 over 2A3 in my Fi2A3 amp, however just came across the following RCA "replica" 2A3 tube which peaked my curiosity, of course if they do a 45 i'd have to try it. Google search came up with nothing, anyone here know anything about the Psvane WR2A3's?
2pcs New Psvane WR2A3 Vacuum Tube Matched Pair We and RCA Improved Type | eBay
Old 23rd January 2013, 03:22 AM   #22
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
An update.

I just tried their entry-level Psvane 2A3B ($100/pair shipped) for the past week and they sound really nice! My JJ 2A3-40 was my previous reference, but with a 6C45P driver tube (@35mA) and SS rectification, it sounded a bit edgy and sibilant on vocals, similar to my SS amps. The Psvane 2A3B sounds very similar overall to the JJ, but without this edginess. It's now my favorite 2A3.

I am running it at 375V 65mA, but I've tried traditional 2A3 operating point at 275V and it sounds good also. It uses a standard 300B nickel plate but slightly shorter, still it has 95% of the surface area of 300B.

It's a great tube. I wouldn't be surprised if Psvane's entry-level 2A3 sounds better than their "replica" version.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:50 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Might be worth running the 6c45 at 20 ma or less, over that the thd lowers but the higher harmonics pile in, which might explain some of the sound you report?

Enzo
?
Old 23rd January 2013, 03:22 PM   #24
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
You may be right, I still need to experiment with the 6c45p. 15-20mA might be more optimal.
Old 22nd May 2013, 08:21 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Someone tried the new Psvane WR2a3? At this moment i play with Full Music 2a3 mesh in my Sun Audio monoblocks (SV-2a3PE). I'm also considering Emission Labs, what would you choose if money doesn't matter and i want the best sound..
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:29 AM   #26
45 is offline 45  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjotr27 View Post
Someone tried the new Psvane WR2a3? At this moment i play with Full Music 2a3 mesh in my Sun Audio monoblocks (SV-2a3PE). I'm also considering Emission Labs, what would you choose if money doesn't matter and i want the best sound..
Emission Labs.
Personally I would not buy any expensive 2A3. Good Chinese replicas of the double plate like Golden Dragon and Billington gold work fine and they also have gold plated grid.
If money doesn't matter then I would buy the Emission Labs AD1 Mesh.
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:19 PM   #27
CV6045 is offline CV6045  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default 2A3

Whatever the Chinese say I have real difficulty believing any of their hype....... sorry they seem to use the same structure for a number of their Valves (Tubes), with a few tweaks to make them look just that little bit different. A case in point is their version of the 6L6, (in some cases) it has the same internals as the EL34, 5881, 7027A, and I have seen a KT66 with the same insides. Instead of issuing a different tube every month they should divert their efforts into their Q & Q.......... which has got better over the years but it has a Loooooong way to go to catch up on the NOS tubes
Old 24th May 2013, 08:02 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Good Chinese replicas of the double plate like Golden Dragon and Billington gold work fine and they also have gold plated grid.
My experiences with these tube`s are not so good...
But thanks for te reactions...
Old 24th May 2013, 08:10 AM   #29
45 is offline 45  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjotr27 View Post
My experiences with these tube`s are not so good...
But thanks for te reactions...
If you buy them from the official shop I don't think you are going to have any surprise. They can test e select them as you wish and perform just as the NOS.
If you buy them from "unknown" sources then it could be that some tubes simply don't have enough emission. This is the only issue Chinese 2A3 double-plate can have (poor filament emission) and is a consequence of nowadays mass production.
If you want high quality tubes then forget Chinese tubes in general. Emission Labs are high quality tube by modern standards. They are better quality than NOS now they have sorted initial issues you always have with new production.
Old 24th May 2013, 09:20 AM   #30
45 is offline 45  Italy
diyAudio Member

Another option could be the KR 2A3 but I don't know this one at all. I think the pair will cost something around $400-450....

Hide this!Advertise here!