What is the theoretical advantage of direct heated triodes? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2012, 05:19 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

If you want to try 'em for yourself, and are concerned with the twice line frequency modulation by AC filament heating, run two valves in parallel with their filament connections opposing. The real challenge with DHTs is getting enough isolation from AC power line garbage, while still making the "cathode" unipotential to signal. Lots of folks have given up and gone to DC heating. But never say die!

All good fortune,
Chris
Old 29th November 2012, 06:07 AM   #22
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

why is it that i find my EL34 pp amp sounding better than a 45 set? mi had a chance to listen to both of them side by side at a recent hifi show...
Old 29th November 2012, 06:15 AM   #23
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
why is it that i find my EL34 pp amp sounding better than a 45 set? mi had a chance to listen to both of them side by side at a recent hifi show...
could be many reasons, personal taste, 45 clipping at volume, etc. there is a huge difference in output power between the amps.

in my system, all my friends and family prefer the SET. i could not find a single person prefering the PP EL84 amp. could be many reasons, such as cosmetics or something.
Old 29th November 2012, 06:53 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
could be many reasons, personal taste, 45 clipping at volume, etc. there is a huge difference in output power between the amps.

in my system, all my friends and family prefer the SET. i could not find a single person prefering the PP EL84 amp. could be many reasons, such as cosmetics or something.
Was the PP EL84 run in Triode class A with ZNFB, otherwise the comparison is not fair. This is the problem with comparing totally different topologies - people rarely build the PP amps to the same standards as the SET amp and then wonder why they sound different.

Shoog
Old 29th November 2012, 07:12 AM   #25
TVC is offline TVC
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
---------------------------

I also had this experience before, SE tube amp had rich 2nd harmonic, the EL34PP I heard had very fast ,detail sound which different than other PP amp I heard was the same with rich second harmonic.
Old 29th November 2012, 08:12 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hi!
With all plate curve measurements I did, DHTs have been more linear than IDHTs. Especially in comparison to triode strapped pentodes. There had been some experiments done by S. Bench, comparing IDHTs to DHTs and DHTs with oxide and thoriated tungsten filaments. He measureed the change of mu with signal ampltitude. In this test the DHTs had mroe constant mu and among DHTs those with thoriated tungsten filaments had been better

Best regards

Thomas
Old 29th November 2012, 08:43 AM   #27
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post

i find sets too whimpy for my tastes....the speaker we used was a modified Sony 4 inch FR in a transmission line box......we played Joe Morello's take 5 at volume and one guy came up to me and asked me, where did you put your subwoofer? he was flabbergasted to find out that all we had was a 4incher.......
Old 29th November 2012, 08:45 AM   #28
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC View Post
---------------------------

I also had this experience before, SE tube amp had rich 2nd harmonic, the EL34PP I heard had very fast ,detail sound which different than other PP amp I heard was the same with rich second harmonic.

with a Broskie CCDA line preamp, the EL34 pp amp sounded better than the 45 set with plenty of volume to boot....
Old 29th November 2012, 08:48 AM   #29
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoog View Post
Was the PP EL84 run in Triode class A with ZNFB, otherwise the comparison is not fair. This is the problem with comparing totally different topologies - people rarely build the PP amps to the same standards as the SET amp and then wonder why they sound different.

Shoog
ultralinear pp shuguang EL34 shuguang tube amp.....with global negative feedback......i do not know what the standards for SET amps are, but i do know what i heard and i liked it.....
Old 29th November 2012, 09:21 AM   #30
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsem View Post
What is the standard for measuring microphonics and where can the data for commonly used tubes be obtained?
Data and procedures are generally only given for tubes with specified low microphonics. It's sorely lacking for others. As far as I'm aware, there is no one universal standard.

edit: Here's an example of one where the procedure is specified and data are given:
http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/138/6/6111WA.pdf

Here's an example where the claim is made, but with zero supporting data:
http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/079/5/5879.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!