• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking to build my first tube amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/180897-kt88-se-basic-master-kit.html

You could always get the basic kit from Scott17

If I were the OP i'd be thinking about a single tube envelope per channel amplifier/audio triode + output pentode in one envelope, like the ECL82's

That way he can use 2 tubes, a SS rectifier, and spend a total of about $50-$100 on parts at most for 3.5 watts output in Single Ended.

http://bruceinjapan.blogspot.jp/2012/04/ecl82-tube-amp.html
http://nmwilliam.tripod.com/ecl82.html

'nuff said, kits rule!

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Everyone,

Im looking to build my first tube amplifier to power a pair of 8R bookshelf speakers.

Does anyone have any reccomendations?

Thanks

If you have the Omega Grande 8R Single Driver Speakers, Highly efficient. 96 dB sensitivity.

8 inch Fostex drivers. (The Hemp version, not the Alnico.)
Then I would recomend a RH84 build.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

As Zekk put it in another thread-

I'm exhilarated by the great sonics coming out of my humble Magnavox 196 BA re-wired to a RH84SE circuit.
Only changed the choke to a Hammond 10H@150mA.
Despite the original PT of 260-0-260v, with a B+ of 276v, it did'nt lose out much to my regular McIntosh MC-30 monobloc.
What surprised me most was how quite it is, not a hiss from my 101dB Altec 604-E! Incredible!
Can't beleive that 3 tiny-wimpy tubes can thump my Mac !?
Bass is a big "WOW". s
This first listen to a SET have totally changed my mentality of the low watters! I'm now confident enough to build a RH66 if I can find the schematics for it. Can make use of the quad of KT66 Gold Lion from the MC-30.
This hobby is fantastic and wish I could have taken up electronics instead of structural engineering, 40 yrs. ago.
Cheers!
Zekk

In a output transformer shoot out in another forum--

On an RH84 build of mine, I recently tried the Hammond 125ESE, Edcor XSE15-8-5K, Edcor GXSE15-8-5K, and the Transcendar 5k-8ohm 10W SE Trasnformer.

Both the 125ESE and the Edcor XSE15-8-5k sounded very similar to each other with the Edcor having a bit more high-end detail. Both seemed to drop in performance on the low end.

The Edcor XSE15-8-5k costs half the Hammond for similar performance so I view the Edcor XSE as the better value compared to the Hammond. It is handy to have the multiple impedance taps on the Hammond for experimenting.

The Edcor GXSE15-8-5K was an overall good performer with a much improved bottom end compared to the 125ESE and the Edcor XSE15-8-5K.

The Edcor GXSE15-8-5K bottom and mid range sound was close to the Transcendar with the Transcendar sounding the best of the bunch with more high-end detail.

If I were the OP i'd be thinking about a single tube envelope per channel amplifier/audio triode + output pentode in one envelope, like the ECL82's

That way he can use 2 tubes, a SS rectifier, and spend a total of about $50-$100 on parts at most for 3.5 watts output in Single Ended.

Bruce in Japan: ECL82 / 6BM8 Tube Amp
Single Tube amplifier

'nuff said, kits rule!

Im thinking of building this to start with, could i just use cheap output transformers that are available in the UK?

Is there anything specific i need to be aware of?

Thanks

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
that depends on your budget
(btw, Im not experienced tube amp builder)

note, the 7K trafo in shown schematic is connected with 8ohm speaker to 16ohm tap
which basicly halves the 7K to 3K5

but then, how many speakers are really 8ohm
most are more like 6ohm, so.....not easy at all ?
and desctop PC speakers, what are they ?
I have no idea, but 4ohm wouldn't surprice me at all

so, to play safe you might also need a 4ohm tap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.