Capacitor replacement confusion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2012, 07:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Capacitor replacement confusion

Hi, this is my first time trying to repair/tuneup an old Stromberg Carlson HiFi. Model 1121 console, with AM, FM, Shortwave and record player. Schematic link: http://audiophool.com/Schem_R/Stromberg_1121-schem.gif

Do the caps in the picture need replacing? They look like a type that sells on ebay for quite a bit, similar to the bumblebees and black beauties. I've seen some websites that say 'replace all those bumblesbees' and some that say they are okay to use. So this is why I'm confused. I know that electrolytic caps should be replaced, like the ones in the cans, but this type that are sealed seem to depend on different opinions.

There are many in the radio that are used as bypass caps, and/or tone and filter caps.

Any advice would be really appreciated...

Also, what is that acrylic-plastic device in the bottom of the picture?? There are a few of them with interleaved windings and components on them.

Thanks,

Daniel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4895.JPG (339.5 KB, 195 views)
Old 24th November 2012, 07:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

All of those old caps should be tested to see if they are at least close to there rated capacitance. replace any that are way off. 10-20% or more off. throw them away if they are. guitar guys won't want them if they're shot!
Old 24th November 2012, 07:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottguitars View Post
Also, what is that acrylic-plastic device in the bottom of the picture?? There are a few of them with interleaved windings and components on them.
Hi Daniel,

this ain't no acrylics, but polystyrene, which is good for bobbins in radio frequency applications.

Best regards!
Old 24th November 2012, 08:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Those capacitors are paper covered in wax. They tend to be leaky. If you want it to sound better than new, you can put in Solen or $1 or 2 capacitors. In the RF section you can just use the cheap $0.50 yellow film capacitors. Don't need to use new or old "bumblebees".
Old 24th November 2012, 08:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Replace ALL the wax capacitors. If they aren't bad by now they will be soon enough. Its cheap insurance.
Old 24th November 2012, 09:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

what about using sprague orange drops caps? I can get 20-0.01/600v for about $12 on ebay.

Either that or PIO caps too...
Old 24th November 2012, 09:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Orange drops should be fine for this application. Good price too.
Old 25th November 2012, 01:13 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Agreed, orange drops are pretty good.
Old 15th December 2012, 04:26 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have another question about two of the caps. I cannot get to them without really tearing apart the chassis and stuff. They are the two in the center of the picture, light blue color, marked 'Solar' and 'sealed tite' on them. I am pretty sure they are the number 1 and 2 tubes shown on the schematic- http://audiophool.com/Schem_R/Stromberg_1121-schem.gif - labeled Radio Frequency Amplifier and Converter Oscillator. I am hoping they will be okay...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4919.JPG (308.2 KB, 76 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!