• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Any skilled custom tube amplifier builders out there?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm a novice at building tube amps. I was wondering if there are any highly skilled custom tube amp builder, who is willing to build me a custom tube amp, if I provide the schematics and parts. It is very important the builder does excellent chassis and wiring work. For example, someone pointed out this builder in Japan: Well Come My WebSite Audio Collections
The problem is this guy is in Japan and I'm not sure if he would accept my business, being located in Texas. And shipping would be a nightmare.

Anyone direct me to someone close to me? At least in the US?

Thanks.

At the level of money involved in a project like that, I think shipping would be rather negligible by comparison, even from Japan :)

Exactly. You need the same drawings and other documentation to order parts and units to assemble the single unit, like you need for production run. And you need to get the same certificates. But you can't divide this costs among units of the party of the production.
And be prepared that the process involves more thinking than actual building. It takes time, but can't be measured. And you can't accelerate this process pushing on the designer.

I would recommend to go through the Gallery topic on the forum and see for yourself what you like more, then contact that person who posted the picture.

MGH, I don't think you thought this out fully.

If you provide the schematic and parts (essentially a partial kit that wasn't fully designed), what happens when he builds it and it performs poorly? Do you have drawings showing the physical look, materials, dimensions, etc? If not, what happens when you don't like the way it looks when finished?

A better idea would be to post what kind of amp you're looking for and how much you want to spend. Chances are somebody will recommend something already available in finished form, that meets your needs.

If on the other hand you have unlimited funds, as your "highly skilled custom builder" implies, you should look for someone to design and build exactly what you want and let them procure the parts.

Tube amp builder

Hi
I started my career years ago with a respected UK audio company Raper and Wayman-fixing and selling Manley and Bryston gear-all the manley processors and amplifiers (Stingray HiFi amp mainly) and lots of the Bryston stuff
I now design and construct tube processors and amplifiers at home as a little cottage industry
I have good elationships with many suppliers and engraing facilities fo doing the panels. I use stock available boxes from manufacturers(there are some great ones out there) and then customise them
I would be happy to see your schematics and build you an amp

Paul Moriaon

There is always scott17 and you find find some of his work here. I am not sure whatelse he has to offer amp wise, but I believe that the KT88 amp shown is based on Mikael Abdellah's KT88 SE Tube Amplifier . And it looks nice. He might have the knowledge, chassis building materials, and skills to put together your amp. He is sometimes active here on diyaudio.com

his work can be seen here...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/180897-kt88-se-basic-master-kit.html

and you can probably PM or post to the thread to get his attention.

Or if you want, then possibly ask Bob Latino though he may be busy making his ST70, but his work looks very nice and he has the skills from the looks of it.

You never know.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will look into them.

I really like the looks of the Electronluv gear. Just checked his site. Looks like he does do custom commission work, but I think it's going to be way expensive.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a novice at building tube amps. I was wondering if there are any highly skilled custom tube amp builder, who is willing to build me a custom tube amp, if I provide the schematics and parts. It is very important the builder does excellent chassis and wiring work. For example, someone pointed out this builder in Japan: Well Come My WebSite Audio Collections
The problem is this guy is in Japan and I'm not sure if he would accept my business, being located in Texas. And shipping would be a nightmare.

Anyone direct me to someone close to me? At least in the US?

Thanks.

You can e-mail me, and discuss what it is you're looking for.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.