• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Any skilled custom tube amplifier builders out there?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After you get someone to build it pretty, I can fix it so it actually works.
Do that for Zobsky all the time... Somehow I'm a legend in SanAntonio?
Even though I've never done any work there. I fixed some stuff for my
friend (who lives is Richardson)'s brother (who lives in SA) , who is like
some professional musician. I guess he went home and made a big deal
out of it...

If I build it from scratch, it will take forever and look like crap. But I can
fix anything (reasonably quick) without messing up how it looks. Mabey
it was when I stealthed some new caps inside the original Mallory shells?
Just seemed like the thing to do, I didn't realise it would be important to
the owner who was looking everywhere for identical caps (unobtanium).
He had already given up when I was asked to fix it.

At work, the engineering mistakes I have to correct every day...

Last edited:
All this Texas talk makes me wonder about potential for a North Texas tube group. I used to coordinate the Dallas Audio Club group along with a few others. It was a nice group of guys. Over the past four years, my family has been growing, and the babies put a huge damper on this.

The focus for me at the time was primarily speakers. Since I have reached my personal "nirvana" in speakers, I have since been back in tube building again.

I will not steal any more of this thread, but if any North TX guys might be interested in a thread or email list/group, PM me and let's see what we can put together.

Good luck MGH with finding someone for your build!

Blair

No, I want an option to build a chassis that isn't the standard square or rectangular chassis.

Something like this that i buit .

TO_300007.jpg

TO_300003.jpg

amp002-3.jpg

Picture20006.jpg

I did the metal work , wiring and construction and had the wood work done

You might contact deicide67 on this forum he is doing some wood work for my next amp and also does custom metal work and lives in Texas .

Last edited:
electronluv

Josh pretty much only does custom/commission work. And yes, it's not cheap. However, it's really a piece of artwork, both the chassis and the audio function itself. Everything he builds is unique, I don't think he's made more than one of anything, really. (Even the similar stuff has minor differences). He will also build just an empty chassis too, if that's your preference. The lead times are fairly long though, sometimes over a year for a set of amps or a preamp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.