Any skilled custom tube amplifier builders out there? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2012, 03:57 AM   #1
MGH is offline MGH  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Any skilled custom tube amplifier builders out there?

Hi, I'm a novice at building tube amps. I was wondering if there are any highly skilled custom tube amp builder, who is willing to build me a custom tube amp, if I provide the schematics and parts. It is very important the builder does excellent chassis and wiring work. For example, someone pointed out this builder in Japan: Well Come My WebSite Audio Collections
The problem is this guy is in Japan and I'm not sure if he would accept my business, being located in Texas. And shipping would be a nightmare.

Anyone direct me to someone close to me? At least in the US?

Thanks.
Old 16th November 2012, 04:28 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Massachussetts must be close to Boston.... see if KevinKR is interested or could direct you.

dave
Old 16th November 2012, 05:39 AM   #3
dgta is offline dgta  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGH View Post
And shipping would be a nightmare.
At the level of money involved in a project like that, I think shipping would be rather negligible by comparison, even from Japan
Old 16th November 2012, 07:10 AM   #4
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Pette Milete is in Texas.....Pete Millett's DIY Audio pages
Old 16th November 2012, 09:02 AM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Pete wouldn't have the time. Our mutual buddy Ray Koonce would, though. Here's his website: index

He's in Tyler, TX.
Old 16th November 2012, 03:47 PM   #6
mekr is offline mekr  India
diyAudio Member

Any other amplifier builder
Old 16th November 2012, 03:48 PM   #7
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

No experience with him and his prices are crazy but you asked.

Experience Music, Inc. by Jeffrey W. Jackson
Old 16th November 2012, 04:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgta View Post
At the level of money involved in a project like that, I think shipping would be rather negligible by comparison, even from Japan
Exactly. You need the same drawings and other documentation to order parts and units to assemble the single unit, like you need for production run. And you need to get the same certificates. But you can't divide this costs among units of the party of the production.
And be prepared that the process involves more thinking than actual building. It takes time, but can't be measured. And you can't accelerate this process pushing on the designer.

I would recommend to go through the Gallery topic on the forum and see for yourself what you like more, then contact that person who posted the picture.
Old 16th November 2012, 04:45 PM   #9
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Might consider talking to Twin Audio, they have a forum here, and I've purchased decent OPTs from them for very reasonable money. They also build custom amps.

Introduction to Twin Audio
Old 16th November 2012, 05:18 PM   #10
dgta is offline dgta  United States
diyAudio Member

MGH, I don't think you thought this out fully.

If you provide the schematic and parts (essentially a partial kit that wasn't fully designed), what happens when he builds it and it performs poorly? Do you have drawings showing the physical look, materials, dimensions, etc? If not, what happens when you don't like the way it looks when finished?

A better idea would be to post what kind of amp you're looking for and how much you want to spend. Chances are somebody will recommend something already available in finished form, that meets your needs.

If on the other hand you have unlimited funds, as your "highly skilled custom builder" implies, you should look for someone to design and build exactly what you want and let them procure the parts.

Hide this!Advertise here!