• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Are these tubes really matched?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, just bought some pairs of "matched" Golden Lion reissue 12AX7, NOS Telefunken 12AX7 smooth plate diamond bottom, and NOS milspec Mullard CV4024 (12AT7).

Mullard CV4024: Mu 51.8/42.1 53.1/45.2
Golden Lion: Mu 97.2/95.5 96.7/99.0
Telefunken: Mu 91.5/91.5 91.0/91.8

My questions:
1) I'm not a tube expert but the Mullard is wildly off internally, 20% mismatch for one and 16% for the other. Between tubes seem relatively close, but still imbalanced internally. Would you return these for better matched pair?

2) I suppose the Golden Lion is pretty close. Is this acceptable?

3) The Telefunkens are almost perfectly matched. But absolute values seem a little low for NOS. Should be close to 100 according to specs. Is this acceptable? Especially given, I paid over $100 each for these.

Thanks for your input.

Acceptable on what basis? An instrumentation application might fail them, but then, an instrumentation amplifier would contain enough negative feedback to overcome such differences with room to spare.

For audio purposes, even the worst '4024 halve vs. the best Golden Lion halve is not a huge difference: a mu-stage will differ by 7.4dB, which means you'll change the volume control once and forget about it (the 12AT7 distortion may be noticable, but that depends on design). You won't discern the differences between Golden Lion and Telefunken devices at all: the worst mismatch is only 0.73dB.

All in all, I'd be very concerned if you had a circuit that was so knife-edge unstable that 0.73dB variance was enough to make it malfunction. That's not a tube problem, that's a fundamental design issue!

Tim

Thanks Tim. I get your point about the Golden Lion and Telefunken. But the Mullard seems pretty far from being "matched", which I paid extra for the service. If I didn't pay for the matching service, I would accept the Mullard as is.

Check the description of the matching method. They may say that a matched pair is considered a match if they are close tube to tube only, and not matched first section to section internaly. That would be double matching.

Tube to tube, section to section was not specified. However, even tube to tube, it's off by 7%. I thought most consider 5% or less tube to tube as matched.

AES won't even do a 12ax7 match or for other dual triode preamp tubes. Internally or tube to tube.

Power tubes, yes. But small imbalances in drivers can be compensated for with balance control. Do you have a unique need for 4 perfect sections?

Last edited:
Mullard CV4024 are often poorly matched. I'm not sure if that means they were built to optimise something else (CV4000 series are supposed to be 'better' than earlier versions), or just that we are now left with the dross.

The CV4xxx series are of rugged construction and usually differ in construction to standard types . I have tested my way through many hundreds of NOS Mullard CV4024/M8162 from mid 1970's to final 1985/86 production and find these test all over the shop with many having sectional matching way off such as 4.5mA/V one side and 6mA/V the other .

316a

Hmm, ruggedized versions were subjected to more thorough tests. I heard a story that early transistors, in ruggedized military versions, were *less* reliable than their commercial counterparts, because the commercial parts were tested by sampling and not subjected to the rigors of military testing, which irreversibly stressed the parts inside.

I haven't heard of this for tubes, and all "ruggedized" tubes I've seen really are beefier inside (the most amazing examples being tubes like the Bendix 6384, equipped with with hard glass envelope, ceramic insulators, quadrupled alignment pins and shock absorbing springs), and I have no doubt they would survive testing, and continue to provide high-reliability service under very harsh conditions.

Just a thought.

Tim

Well, if mu is important to you, best measure it yourself. Otherwise, don't worry too much about what's on the box, see how the tube performs in your amp.

I just wanted to make sure I got a tube that is really NOS and will last awhile. It's my limited knowledge that's getting me paranoid I guess. Not sure Mu is somehow related to longevity of a tube.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.