• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Mighty Midget Problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am having problems with mighty midget. The amp has been working but all of a sudden blew an output transformer in the right channel.
I purchased new output transformers (edcor gxe10-8-8k)

I installed the new transformers but the right channel starts heating up in about 30 seconds even without tubes. slight scratching noises in right speaker. small burn near r16 in board (arc over??) . checked filter capacitors, most resistors in the vicinity,

Can any body give some guidance where to start next?

test equipment is limited to a DMM. and digital cap checker

thanks in advance
mike

Attachments

• new_midget_sch.pdf
    178.4 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
the voltages were checked with NO tubes installed
cathode resistor goes from pin 9 to ground with no other connections .

I have verified that cathode resistor and bypass capacitor on both tubes were good.
I did not install the tubes because the transformer on the bad channel heats up very quickly. I can disconnect the transformers and check again if you wish.

I am very glad to have your help.

Last edited:
Please: 1.Check resistance between socket cathode pin and ground, must be 200 ohm. Check for short between socket pins. /But first, switch off an amplifier/..... 2.Check voltage on cathode resistor 200 ohm with tube /tester must be in DC mode/ for short time.... 3. Disconnect C11-0.22 uF and see what will happen..... 4. Disconnect R17 360 kohm..... 5.Change for a short time output tubes, from left to right channel..... 6. Resistance between first grid /pin 8/ and ground must be 221 kohm / amplifier must be switched off/.

With only 10 volts on the plate of the bad channel with no tubes in, it has to be shorted somewhere around there. Unplug the amp, discharge the B+ capacitors, and measure resistance, at the tube sockets of both plates.

The 174 on the good channel is lower than what is supposed to be there because the bad channel is shorted, from the op transformer to pin 11 of the 6T10.

You should have had the fuse blow first.

Last edited:
I will check all of the above tomorrow. I have 6 spare tubes which I have tried. the problem does not follow the tube. I hesitate to power the amp up with the transformers
attatched because the bad channel will heat up the transformer in about 30 seconds.

the amp is not built with the recommended power transformer. the one I used has 500 vac ct. the rectifier was modified from bridge to full wave with center tap to ground 330 ohm power resistor removed from the circuit. the amp worked for about 2 months before I heard a small chirp then silence in the bad channel.

Hi,

Good for you that you found the problem.
A few questions, not relating to your particular problem but to the construction of the amp.
How does it sound?
The 6T10 compactron is a strange beast. The output pentode-section does what it's suppose to but the other section is ...well, strange.
The weirdest plate-curves, absolutely non-audio imo.
Now, could this problem be solved by biasing grid-3 as with D6,7,9,10?
Will this square the curves up to something usefull?
Anyone has an idea? Or even better, does anyone have curves with this biasing?

rgds,

/tri-comp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.