Glass-ware? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2012, 09:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Glass-ware?

I've been interested in some boards from Glass-ware but have not had a response from several emails. Anyone else getting any communication through or know what's up?
thx
-Mark M.
Old 14th November 2012, 12:38 AM   #2
SandyG is offline SandyG  United States
diyAudio Member

He (Broski) is very slow sometimes. I have had mixed results when asking questions about some of his boards. Then get a few responses. I have a couple of his pre-amps they are good value IMO, but have yet to fire one up.

Sandy
Old 14th November 2012, 12:49 AM   #3
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

Email is typically pretty sparse to get through...apparently unless you specifically call out "aikido help" or somehting pretty specific in the subject it will go to spam.

What I can say is that I have many boards from there from preamps to PSU's and they are top notch quality.

The aikido is one terrific preamp and the power supply boards are also very solid with well thought out circuitry.

What do you specifically have questions about? Likely someone here can answer.
Old 14th November 2012, 05:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well one thing would be, if I send him money is anyone home and will he send me boards I'd wanted to pick up the octal/Janus board and a Tetra phono board, but the web interface won't let me order the Tetra and I can't tell if it's an interface bug or if he's out of them. Seems like with those two boards and a handful of other parts it wouldn't be too hard to put something together, although I'm surprised how many uncompleted Aikidos I seem to hear about. I guess I could maybe use any other phono board, but I'm not an engineer and would rather eliminate as many variables as possible.

Secondarily I thought maybe I could get some opinions from him, or possibly not, about which tubes and other components to choose. Kind of nice to be able to talk to someone when buying something like this, maybe not necessary but just nice...

I want something to use with one of two ST70's I've fixed up; I'm selling a PAS3 that I never liked much. One is original except for cap updates, and one I rebuilt from the chassis up with a new Triad power transformer, nice new sockets, and Curcio driver and power supply boards with nice caps etc. I also have a CJ PV-5 that I'm trying to get in shape for the other ST70, haven't decided which will go with which but will be something to play with..

Thanks for these replies, partly I was honestly concerned that something might have happened rendering him unavailable and perhaps not in business.
Old 14th November 2012, 06:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Mr. Broskie posted on his blog today, and the web store currently shows the Tetra as being out of stock.

Best of luck with your project. I am very happy with the octal Aikido build I did a few years ago with one of John's boards, which I use for bass instrument amplification.
Old 14th November 2012, 01:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passinwind View Post
Mr. Broskie posted on his blog today, and the web store currently shows the Tetra as being out of stock.

Best of luck with your project. I am very happy with the octal Aikido build I did a few years ago with one of John's boards, which I use for bass instrument amplification.
Thanks and wow, how does that work as a bass preamp? I imagine some adaptations (i.e. input impedance, tone control, etc.) were required?
Old 14th November 2012, 02:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmalmberg View Post
Thanks and wow, how does that work as a bass preamp? I imagine some adaptations (i.e. input impedance, tone control, etc.) were required?
All my basses use onboard preamps with active tone controls, so I actually didn't have to change much. I still eventually built up a 6SL7 front end and a fairly conventional tone stack though. There are a couple pf pictures here, in the Instruments And Amps sub-forum.
Old 14th November 2012, 03:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Very cool indeed.
Old 17th November 2012, 01:06 AM   #9
zany is offline zany  Australia
diyAudio Member

Very busy man, so slow to reply to emails sometimes is what I've heard... however, his products are top quality and you should have no concern over whether you will get your order fulfilled.

I received a Low voltage aikido kit - postage wasn't as much as I had paid in my order, so John kindly added some Wima coupling caps which wasn't part of my order. Nice.
Old 19th November 2012, 04:32 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks; what's the deal with the low-voltage version? i.e. what's the benefit and down side vs the higher voltage designs?

Hide this!Advertise here!