• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido preamp transformer question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have an old Aikido 9pin board and need a power supply for it. The board is configured for 2 6CG7 and 2 6922.
I already have a Radio Shack 6.3v transformer.

I am looking at the Glassware PS-5 B+ Power Supply Kit and it seems to work. It needs a 5v supply for the 5Y3 tube. I guess I need a B+ of 200-300V for the preamp.
Can anyone suggest a transformer for the application? Also, what is the fuse needed for this preamp?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I used a custom wound transformer for a B+ of 280v on my all 12Au7 Aikido. I would recommend a custom wound transformer as it can be built to your exact requirements (both power and voltage) and may work out cheaper then some of the higher end hammond stuff.

I can highly suggest also either the PS-3 or PS-4 if you must have tube rectification.

As far as transformers
Allied Electronics 6K88VG
Allied Electronics 6K56VG if you are using tube rectifier

Or any Edcor that makes at least 500VCT either with or without the 5V rectifier winding.

Most tube centric power transformers will come with a 6.3V tap.

You could also look at Antek for toroidal - in the 250V range since most of the antek units are not center tapped.

DC Heaters will go a long way for a quiet preamp. AC will work if set up properly but DC tends to be easier to manage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.