• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

low voltage hybrid power amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone, I am looking for a low (in valve standards) voltage hybrid power amplifier. It should be designed to run from +-40V rails or less. Furthermore, should be simple to build. I will suggest it to 10..14 y.old electronics amateurs as a substitute for HV electric shock and similar projects.

If anyone would happen to have a tested design, I would be more than happy to give it a try.

I have found only this project, thus I would prefer something smaller, cheaper and without global feedback. Power of 2..5W is more than enough for valve audio try-out. Headphone amplifiers are not an option.

Thanks and regards,
Paulius

I would prefer something smaller, cheaper and without global feedback. Power of 2..5W is more than enough for valve audio try-out. Headphone amplifiers are not an option.

Class A makes a lot of heat, especially simple single ended circuits like the one you linked as they are very inefficient.

I suggest you look to Class AB. Most people will say it needs feedback, but at low power into a reasonable load there are those who find it works adequately. At the end you will have to accept some tradeoffs.

One option is to make a triode cathode follower buffer and put a Chipamp power op-amp after it.

I can offer to you my last solid state SE amp without global feedback
(more than 5 years old).
Unfortunately I don't have updated circuit diagram here (at work),
so, I'm posting only amplifier part just to have an idea what I'm talking about...
More explanations later (hope can do this tonight).

Attachments

• no_FB.gif
    no_FB.gif
    21.5 KB · Views: 192
An idea I've been kicking around for a bit now. Very simple in how it works and once offset is adjusted no need to mess with it again as the offset only varies about 25mV or so when the tube is warming up. Power supply can be made from two 12-0-12 transformers piggybacked. Tube can be nearly any medium mu type like 6sn7 or 12au7 etc. without any changes.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 Nov. 30 20.34.jpg
    ScreenHunter_02 Nov. 30 20.34.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.