• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Which IR LED?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Depends on the current you're planning to run through it. The critical graph is forward current vs forward voltage. The AC resistance at a given current is the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that current. At 10mA, the 5685 looks like about 6 ohms, the 5594 looks like about 3 ohms.

... 40mA is pretty darn high. Most remote control type IR LEDs have a 30mA max. Paralleling will require a small series resistor to prevent current hogging and runaway. At 10mA, the 5685 looks like about 6 ohms, the 5594 looks like about 3 ohms.

What value would be practical for the two seriesresistors, 1 ohm or less?

Hello,

the first stage is E810F pentode like Thorstens LCR design but with interstage transformer. Worked fine as long as I connected the step up 1:8. But I´m getting trouble if I connect it 1:16 with a higher impedance cartridge like the DL103. Cathode is grounded so I suspected the grid current but it seems that the low imput impedance of the stage seems to be the problem.

So I tried some other operating points. Works good with 22R/1000uF, resulting in 0.8V grid voltage, but it doesn´t sound good. It is much better with a 1N 4148 (same operating point). So I was wondering how a IR LED would perform.

Soundwise, the best solution so far is with grounded cathode, 180K grid leak and a coupling cap between grid and step up.

Isn´t max current through the 5594 100mA?

Kind regards,
Martin

A 20mA current would be more sensible and not cost you much transconductance. And for that, a red LED would work fine- the HLMP6000 series are very quiet and low impedance.

It may be worth reading Vogel's book on phono design as well as his recent article in Linear Audio on triode noise. More current is not always better....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.