• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6AU6 replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I'm in a pickle. I'm in the middle of building a 6V6 push pull mono amp with one 12AU7 and two 6AU6. I just realized I don't have any 7BK tube sockets but have some 9A sockets. So I'm trying to find a sharp cut off pentode in a 9 pin socket with the same characteristics as a 6AU6. Any help would be appreciated. Here's the schematic I'm working off.

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/elect...ew.php?id=2394

vinylkid 58: Yes I did, I've pretty much copied that schematic exactly. It looked simple and I thought it might be fun to give it a try. What do you think would be a better choice. Actually if there are any improvements that wouldn't be too far off the original, I'd be willing to try it. It's all just an experiment to me. wavebourne, morinix thanks for your suggestions I take a look at them. thanks

But ultimate origin? Not RCA, I think. The input stage is a poor version of the Williamson (there must be almost 0.3mA going though the cathodyne!), the feedback arrangement is relatively ineffective, and RCA engineers were smart enough to understand feedback from the OPT secondary.

RCA's actual pentode driver amp was quite an excellent and innovative design.

It is RCA. It appears in RC-19 receiving tube manual: circuit 19-11 on page 361. It is described as "High-Fidelity Audio Amplifier, Class AB1, Output 10 Watts". The verson linked to is slightly redrawn, but clearly the same circuit. No GNFB. Same component values. My guess is that RCA published it in different places, not clear with they would redraw it as printing plates were expensive.

That is a Japanese-drawn circuit. I think it came from Asano's famous book of the 1970s in which he give circuits and photos for dozen of tube amps that he built. Ultimately he built over 100 amps.

DF96 is correct in that it is the late 50s RCA tube manual suggested design.

Many of those tube manual designs strike me as a bit odd looking at them with modern eyes!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.