• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

need ideers for a 6 channel amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok, first.. i acidently bought a pair of active linn kaber a year back. and although it is a great sounding speaker, i now need 6 channels to drive them.

so all my tube amp plans went down the drain.

but before that happened i finished a power supply, that can deliver 2x400V 0,5A + enough 6.3v. and room on the chassis for variues smaller voltages. (or well... to be fair, have all the parts, the design, the ready chassis. and it is not that far from being tested.:) )

but now i want back into the game, i want a tube amp. but i cant really decide on what i want.

i need something i can hook up to my power supply, and i am thinking 10-20wpc.

first i thought about using the front end from the big 6l6gc ab2 thread (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/133034-6l6gc-ab2-amp.html) and a pair of 6550 (becourse i have 8 of them,, so wouldnt need to buy that many more)

but since i am kinda new to tube amps (experienced electronic technichian though, also with high voltage) i would love to have a my frontend on a pcb. and today i found pete's mono driver board.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/203110-mono-push-pull-driver-pcb.html

so now i am fairly close to be buying 6 of them, and hooking them up to some 6550.

but, before i do that, i just wanted to ask if you guys have any better ideers for a 6 channel amp, that is feeded with 400v, and preferebly frontend on a PCB?

and i could use ideers for output tubes aswell, i like cheap and i dont care about having the "right" tubes.. just want some good sound. so if there is some awesome russian tube (or german or whatever..) that is fairly cheap, but good sounding. then pls speak up :)

thanks
Jens

Could you elaborate a bit on your PSU?
Does it deliver 2x 400V dc @ 0,5A each, so 1A in total? Or is it 2x400V ac (800V with CT) @ 0,5A ac?
12 x 6550 draws considerable current. 1A would barely be enough.
I'd use a much smaller valve, perhaps 6V6's or 6L6 as you already sugested.
I have been contemplating a multi channel amp for some time now, using my stash of 6AQ5's, but 400Vdc would be too high for these. In my plans I'm not giving each channel the same power: satelites need less power than a sub. Perhaps you could run the front on PP 6550 and the others on 6V6's? Just a thought.

If I were in your shoes I would start with simply Bi-Amping the speakers.

The advantage of tri-amping over bi-amping is much, much less than bi-amping is over a complete passive network.

This reduces your build load (only need two stereo amps and not three), costs less, uses less power and produces less heat.

Additionally, it is always possible to add a third channel and tri-amp at a later date.

Bi-amping gives you a chance to get your feet wet with a lower risk factor and to get results faster, too.

well the thing is i dont have a choice :) i have a active crossover. so i need 6 channels.

but when i decide on a build, i will start with only 2 channels, test and listen on some secondery speakers, and then build the entire amp.

EDIT: btw just found the 6p3s-e tube, thinking that it would be a good choice, unless someone tells me that it is just a silly ideer? :p

Last edited:
well the thing is i dont have a choice :) i have a active crossover. so i need 6 channels.

but when i decide on a build, i will start with only 2 channels, test and listen on some secondery speakers, and then build the entire amp.

EDIT: btw just found the 6p3s-e tube, thinking that it would be a good choice, unless someone tells me that it is just a silly ideer? :p

The manual for those speakers seem to indicate that they can be run in multiple configurations.

If not, I would make a simple passive crossover for the mid and tweeter and put it in a box external to the speakers. Much simpler to build than an amp.

ye, they can if they are passive. but i dont even have the original passive crossover for them.

and making a simple crossover kinda defeats the entire ideer behiend having a active crossover.

so, bi amping isnt a posibility, and i mean, buildling 4 or 6 channels doesnt really matter that much, i have the power supply, so it isnt that much a deal building 2 channels more.

ye, they can if they are passive. but i dont even have the original passive crossover for them.

and making a simple crossover kinda defeats the entire ideer behiend having a active crossover.

so, bi amping isnt a posibility, and i mean, buildling 4 or 6 channels doesnt really matter that much, i have the power supply, so it isnt that much a deal building 2 channels more.

Not really. Splitting the mid from the tweeter actively has very little benefit over a passive crossover, unlike splitting the woofer from a mid.

The components for the upper crossover are smaller, simpler, and impart less distortion than they wood at the woofer end.

I would urge you to consider building multiple power supplies. Everything from 500 Hz down is 50% of the music power, so bass will suck up a significant amount of PS resources and any sag or ripple introduced by the bottom end will be imposed on the amps running the high frequencies.

Even my stereo amp has totally independent PS for each channel for the same basic reason.

hmm.. i would love to do that with the power supplies. as you say, it is the right way to do it.

it that would also open some new opportunities. i mean, 6x baby huey would do what i want, and most likely with the performance i want. and it is a fairly simple amp. proberly a good ideer to start with something like that.

a good thing i started this thread.

and i believe you about the mid/tweeter, i just really want a 6 channel amp, even if it doesnt make that much sense. (actually i would love a 6 channel 845 se amp, it would just look awesome, but i dont have the money, and the voltage is to high :p)

ohh and thanks for the comments :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.