• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Double triode 6SN7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Should you wire the input signal from the potentiometer to the same half of each valve for both stereo channels?
If the schematic shows the input going to pin 4 of a 6SN7 would you do that for both channels? This seems both logical, and symmetrical to me, but I notice that JSound Lab (from Israel) show photographs on Ebay where one channel inputs to pin 4, the other channel to pin 1.
Is there a good reason for this?
I know both halves of this double triode are identical.

I had always thought that the best channel balance would come from splitting each tube and (assuming matched halves) putting both channels into each double tube, ie one tube carrying both input gain stages, one tube carrying both concertina phase splitters...

But then again, there are an awful lot of high end mono blocks out there, and if the boys playing at the big end of town don't need matched halves on their tubes for good performance, maybe it's not as critical as one might think...

My current practice is to use a separate tube on each channel, so each tube carries the gains tage and the phase splitter for its own channel alone.

Not sure there's actually much of a functional difference, aside from the fact that you can't flavour the sound by tube rolling and changing out a single tube (NOS RCA MIL red base for the input tube for instance), instead you gotta buy two...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.