Yaqin MS 34 D - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2012, 12:58 AM   #11
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by costis_n View Post
Desppain not, If you kindly ask them for a schematic, they ll likely send you one, and the nice ppl here will tell you what to do and how,

But first, the million euro question: Are you handy with a soldering iron?

About the Audiogon Review: "Pure Class A" yeah riiiiight...
Hi costis yes i can solder neatly but i dont understand wireing diagrams. Ican change caps and opamps stuff like that its just the wireing diagrams i dont understang
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 01:03 AM   #12
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12E1 View Post
One question - do you know what your mains voltage really is? In the UK, it is nominally 230 volts with a tolerance of +10% to -6% (the official 240 value was quite a long time ago). It will vary quite a lot from one location to another. In my home I see around 235V, at work I often see about 244V. For historic reasons in many places it is more likely to be above 230 than below.
Good point lol i assumed 240v.Idont really want to spend loads of money on some variac or exspensive reg as im skint now i have bought the amp. Im a bit peed off as i thought i could just run it off the british voltage with no problems
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 06:02 AM   #13
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Broomfield, CO
I have the schematic if you decide that you need it. Just send me a PM with your email address.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 11:03 AM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldw441 View Post
I have the schematic if you decide that you need it. Just send me a PM with your email address.
Thanks ronald might have to to that. If i have to mod the voltage input
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 09:12 AM   #15
12E1 is offline 12E1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
12E1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Near Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull041161 View Post
Good point lol i assumed 240v.Idont really want to spend loads of money on some variac or exspensive reg as im skint now i have bought the amp. Im a bit peed off as i thought i could just run it off the british voltage with no problems
So long as you can measure the heater voltage, I would just plug it in with a load connected to the speaker terminals - let the amp warm up for 2 or 3 minutes and then measure the heater voltage on all of the valves - there may be one, two or even three heater supplies from the mains transformer. If you measure 6.3 to 6.6 volts AC I would be inclined not to worry. If I saw 6.7 or higher then I would see what I could do to lower the voltage into the amplifier since prolonged running at excessive heater voltage is not a good thing. Short term for testing it will do no real harm, however.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 09:34 AM   #16
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Yes, I would only be worried about the heaters really. I believe the operating points of the valves etc are not that scientifically designed by the experts in Yaquin

I m sure the logic circuits are powered by a regulator, so no worries there either.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 09:57 AM   #17
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12E1 View Post
So long as you can measure the heater voltage, I would just plug it in with a load connected to the speaker terminals - let the amp warm up for 2 or 3 minutes and then measure the heater voltage on all of the valves - there may be one, two or even three heater supplies from the mains transformer. If you measure 6.3 to 6.6 volts AC I would be inclined not to worry. If I saw 6.7 or higher then I would see what I could do to lower the voltage into the amplifier since prolonged running at excessive heater voltage is not a good thing. Short term for testing it will do no real harm, however.
Hi thanks for the help. Sorry to sound thick but what would i use to load the the amp a resistor or some thing. Im not very good at this sort of stuff. I just wanted something i could plug in and use if i had know about the biasing and voltage problems dont think i would have bothered lol. I was going to upgrade the tubes later. I do have a volt meter though
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 10:33 AM   #18
12E1 is offline 12E1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
12E1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Near Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull041161 View Post
Hi thanks for the help. Sorry to sound thick but what would i use to load the the amp a resistor or some thing. Im not very good at this sort of stuff. I just wanted something i could plug in and use if i had know about the biasing and voltage problems dont think i would have bothered lol. I was going to upgrade the tubes later. I do have a volt meter though
The key thing is that there should always be a load connected to each channel of the amplifier when it is powered up. These can be simple resistors in the range of 8 ohms to 16 ohms and rated to a few watts at least. Unless you are running significant output power for testing you do not need to have very high power resistors.

Or you can use some speakers. If testing a new amplifier I would not use my best speakers just in case something is not right, but using speakers will of course allow you to hear if there are any big problems such as excessive hum on the outputs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 12:03 PM   #19
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12E1 View Post
The key thing is that there should always be a load connected to each channel of the amplifier when it is powered up. These can be simple resistors in the range of 8 ohms to 16 ohms and rated to a few watts at least. Unless you are running significant output power for testing you do not need to have very high power resistors.

Or you can use some speakers. If testing a new amplifier I would not use my best speakers just in case something is not right, but using speakers will of course allow you to hear if there are any big problems such as excessive hum on the outputs.
Hi would some small surround sound speakers be ok from a panasonic surround sound
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 12:09 PM   #20
12E1 is offline 12E1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
12E1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Near Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull041161 View Post
Hi would some small surround sound speakers be ok from a panasonic surround sound
Should be OK as a test load for the amplifier - but I would not use them for any listening testing since they will most likely have a limited frequency response (I am assuming that they are intended for use with a separate bass speaker).
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yaqin MS-20L tube recommendation cyto Tubes / Valves 4 25th April 2013 06:27 AM
YAQIN MS-22B. Any thoughts, please? vincula Tubes / Valves 12 10th April 2013 06:07 PM
Help - YAQIN MS-20L schematic pigeon_snake Tubes / Valves 4 11th January 2012 12:49 AM
Yaqin MS-12B output awkwardbydesign Analogue Source 0 13th November 2011 11:37 AM
Help - MS-6V6 Yaqin schematic wfmali Tubes / Valves 5 6th April 2010 07:55 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:09 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2