DIY High Power Car Tube Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2012, 10:09 AM   #1
wilkes5 is offline wilkes5  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DIY High Power Car Tube Amp

Not sure if it is the right forum.

Is it hard to do? Looking for...

(700w X 1 channel at 4 ohm)
(200w X 4 (possibly 6) channels at 4 ohm)

possible? price range? all materials must be MADE IN USA, and if it can't be had, then DIY.

found the artical from a thread when typing in the title for the current thread
Space Charge and Other Low-Voltage Tubes
Old 5th November 2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Doz is offline Doz  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There's a few pictures of mine here :
Anybody using a tube amp in their car?

but nowehere near the power levels you're looking at. The power supply to drive those powers alone would stall my engine, and wouldn't fit in my boot (trunk in the USA)!!
Old 5th November 2012, 06:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

anything is possible if you are mad enough to give it a go...

I'd imagine you would be deep into class B to get there, and I'd anticipate the iron alone being worth more than your car. It'll sound like crap, but you won't need a heater in winter..
Old 5th November 2012, 06:47 PM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkes5 View Post
Is it hard to do? Looking for...
(700w X 1 channel at 4 ohm)
(200w X 4 (possibly 6) channels at 4 ohm)
Hi, Its totally impractical, but not impossible, near though, rgds, sreten.
Old 5th November 2012, 08:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
700W with a tube output stage is going to be..uhh..tricky.
(Not impossible,but also not really practical.)
It will be Big,Heavy,and Hot. How big is the trunk in your car? Unless you have a '64 Impala or something,it's not going to be big enough. And your rear suspension will need an upgrade from all the weight.

Now,If you went "Hybrid",and used a SS output stage,and tubes for the low-level stuff,you'll have a fighting chance.
Old 5th November 2012, 09:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

It is absolutely possible, with the exception of output power! Also, it is only stereo, so you ll need more than one. Made in the US, nonetheless.

http://milbert.com/bam235ab

Last edited by costis_n; 5th November 2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: better link
Old 5th November 2012, 11:40 PM   #7
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

You could get 500W with a pair of 813's but you need 50W for each filament.

Old 6th November 2012, 12:12 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You could get 500W with a pair of 813's but you need 50W for each filament.
In one of my dumb blonde experiments I learned that DHT filaments don't live long in a car on a bumpy road. Yeah, I had a 40 WPC 845 SE amp in my car....for about a week.

No rocket science involved, I simply carried my 845SE amp and a 700 watt power inverter out to my car, ran a pair of really fat wires from the car battery to the trunk, plugged the amp into the inverter and cranked it up. The setup filled the trunk of a Mustang convertible. It sounded nice, I even tried running some boxed HiFi speakers in the back seat.

I decided after a week, that the sound quality was lost in the open convertible, and there were microphonics on bumpy roads. I hit a pot hole on my way home from work that killed one of the Chinese 845's. End of experiment.

I decided that the factory "Mach 460" sound system sounded almost as good in an open car, and was MUCH louder. It had 460 Ford watts which is 250 RMS watts. The results might be different in a quiet luxury car, but I will likely never own one.
Old 6th November 2012, 12:19 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

so it looks like a no go because of the size/weight being unpractical. so the best bet of getting a good DIY amp made with USA parts would be to DIY the huge power supply and find amp kit boards to stuff with USA parts? does anyone know where to get the boards for the power requested which are made in the USA? is anyone familar with etching your own boards (utube guy using figernail polish and chemicals), however would like to keep making the boards as "eco friendly" as possible. so maybe just some perforated boards and wire everything up underneith manually? best schematics for the power requirments for SQ with such method either of DIY PCB or manually wiring with perforated board?

sold my new amp "made in usa" because "made in china" was on the inside. don't understand how you can put "made in usa" on your product while sourcing from countries like China, when you CAN get materials from USA and NON COMMUNIST countries like South Korea. the excuse from multiple us manfacturers "some things are only made overseas". can anyone verify?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalJunkie View Post

Now,If you went "Hybrid",and used a SS output stage,and tubes for the low-level stuff,you'll have a fighting chance.
can you give me a size and difficulty level?
Old 6th November 2012, 12:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
I decided that the factory "Mach 460" sound system sounded almost as good in an open car, and was MUCH louder. It had 460 Ford watts which is 250 RMS watts. The results might be different in a quiet luxury car, but I will likely never own one.
buy some old school car audio gear (5 channel amp, sub/subs, midbass, coax, processor with xover/eq/phase).... all over

Hide this!Advertise here!