CJ PV-5 tubes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2012, 03:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CJ PV-5 tubes

I need to buy a new set of tubes for my PV-5 but need some recommendations for specific tubes. Seeing that there were 4 5751's I'd found a matched quad on ebay but got the email below from the seller, so I need to learn more about what would represent a great set of tubes for this preamp. Any suggestions, or feedback on the below?

Email from tube seller:

"The way that tubes are utilized in the PV-5 are that the only tubes which are used as pairs are the 12AX7's. The two 12AX7's should be a matched pair of the same brand/make. All of the other tubes are used as singles which are running one side of the stereo left and one side right for each half of the tube. What that means is the we don't need to have 4 5751 all of the same make. We can customize the sound by using the right tube in the right position. Here are my recommendations.

V3-Raytheon windmill getter 5751 I have a single tube for $60. Best audio 5751 of all time.
V4-RCA triple mica longplate 5965. Early 1960's. Best of the 5965 $23
V5-1957 GE 5751 triple mica D-getter blackplate-All the 1950's GE blackplate are excellent quality but I like the 57 D-getter because they are sweeter sounding. I have a new one in box for $60
V6, V7 Sylvania two mica 5751 matched pair is $67.50 same as what you purchased.
V8 RCA triple mica 5965 same as V4 $23
"
Old 4th November 2012, 03:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Antique Electric Supply has the 5965A for $3.65. V4 and V8 are cathode followers, there is no reason to pay more.

I would recommend that you contact Conrad Johnson for the 5751 as eBay seems to be a minefield of silly prices. I have bought two sets of tubes from cj for my PV5.
Old 4th November 2012, 04:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palustris View Post
Antique Electric Supply has the 5965A for $3.65. V4 and V8 are cathode followers, there is no reason to pay more.

I would recommend that you contact Conrad Johnson for the 5751 as eBay seems to be a minefield of silly prices. I have bought two sets of tubes from cj for my PV5.
Thanks for the info, will make sure I don't spend a bundle on the 5965A's. Ed quoted me $425. plus shipping for a set of tubes so I'm hoping I can do better than that or I'll never hear this preamp
Old 4th November 2012, 04:40 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmalmberg View Post
Ed quoted me $425. plus shipping for a set of tubes...
(shakes head sadly)

As soon as they start putting vintage years and shapes of holes, and getter patterns on tubes, you know you've now entered the realm of stamp collecting.
Old 4th November 2012, 06:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

ESRB has 5751WAs for $16 and 5965As for $3. You can ask them or AES about triple mica, long plates, but maybe not windmill getter?????? Noone has found a UFO getter yet?
Old 4th November 2012, 11:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I think that's ESRC not ESRB. If so, it's probably Stan who's a good man and I've bought loads of tubes from him at good prices. He's not averse to doing deals for a few tubes either. I don't recollect him testing any tubes but he no doubt has a tester. He mostly sells new in box tubes and quotes for new tubes.

Incidentally, how do you know you need new tubes - have you tested all the ones you have?

Last edited by andyjevans; 4th November 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 4th November 2012, 11:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Honestly I don't know I need tubes, but the preamp never sounded very good since I got it, and I can't afford to have it rebuilt; Ed felt tubes were a good place to start. The set of tubes that came in it sound like a kind of mishmash but I don't really know, here's what's in it:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th November 2012, 12:23 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
I think that's ESRC not ESRB.
Yep it is, I meant to leave a link.
Vacuum Tubes - Audio Tubes - ESRC Vacuum Tubes - Electron Tubes

Usually in older gear, pre 80s, capacitors are where to start. Film caps will start being leaky, and power supply caps will start drying up. Instead of spending that much on tubes, you might want to get them tested, although I probably would put the correct tubes in. The amplifier section of the preamp looks pretty simple. Everything except the phono goes through 4 tubes, a 5751 to amplifiy, 5965A cathode follower, another 5751 to amplify, and another 5965A cathode follower, for both channels. V5, V6, V7, and V8.

I guess the 12AT7s are inplace of the 5965As, since they are cathode followers, they'll work, but I dont know how the bias/sound will change.

Last edited by DeathRex; 5th November 2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 5th November 2012, 12:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Funny I asked Ed about renewing the power supply caps and he said if they were a problem I'd hear a loud hum. I'll replace them myself if I can get a solid recommendation on what to put in there. It still has the original metal cans.

I kind of imagine if I have a good set of tubes and the p.s. caps are good, it should at least sound decent. Right now it's pretty muddy. I'm fine doing things like replacing caps etc. if I have trustworthy parts recommendations i.e. I don't want to be experimenting

I'm just starting an updating of my son's Dynaco SCA-35 (with the Audioregenesis boards) and thought I'd get the CJ going at the same time to use with an ST-70 I updated some time ago to go with the CJ.

CJ wants $1450. for their teflon cap upgrade. Bill Thalman is now the more affordable option at something like $650 but still too rich for my blood and I really just would like to get this thing sounding like it's supposed to and see how I like it.

Much obliged for everyone's thoughts and information.
Old 5th November 2012, 12:47 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

p.s. does it sound correct that of all the tubes only the 12ax7's need to be matched?

Hide this!Advertise here!