Reference tube amp kit, <20 watts for under $1,000? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2012, 11:54 AM   #21
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

I've checked out both and I like the latter, lower cost is paramount for the essentials (other luxury items can come later as a gradual upgrade)

Though this one doesn't have the upgraded cap board...

Product Detail: ST-70 KIT (240 VAC)
Choice B

I'm asking them for a postage quote.

Cheers guys, if anyone else would like to suggest one, feel free to come up and say hi.

Yikes:

INTERNATIONAL SHIPMENTS
We have a number of shipping options available to us for international shipments; however, no single carrier services all destinations. Cost of shipping is always a factor including reliability of service to your specific area of the world. Accordingly, shipping costs will be quoted after receipt of your order and confirmation by either e-mail or fax. Customs fees and/or taxes may apply. These costs will be at your expense. UPS and Fed-Ex air shipment charges include customs clearance fees and in most cases it is the best shipping option for international shipments.

Last edited by freax; 21st November 2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 21st November 2012, 12:01 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Bingo:
Click the image to open in full size.

I had better get in contact with them:
Important! (HEAVIER ORDERS) We typically use Flat Rate Boxes, which the shipping calculator cannot figure for, so we will manually reduce your shipping charges & use Flat Rate Boxes whenever possible. If your Country is not shown, or if you have any questions or problems, please send us an email to questions@triodestore.com.

Last edited by freax; 21st November 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 21st November 2012, 06:11 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freax View Post
Hi, I'm looking for a reference-grade tube amplifier kit to go with my soon-to-arrive TDA1543 Russian DAC kit.

Has anyone got suggestions?

I don't feel up to building an amp from scratch and would much prefer a kit form.

I don't need much power, 5-10 watts would be great, but 35 watts WOULD be nice if I could get it as I'm using Sanyo bass-reflex speaker enclosures.
I'm with you. Gathering parts for a scratch build is not the most fun part of this hobby for me. I just started building a TS - Son of Beast and all the parts came in the box...nice! The instruction book looks very clear as well. I have built 3 of his components already and they are all excellent.

Son of Beast OTL Tube Amp

It's a 15W P-P push/pull OTL. Kit was $749 sans tubes. I just got it yesterday and got the chassis mostly populated in a couple of hours. I should have it wired and fired sometime over the holiday weekend. I'll be driving Heathkit AS101 (Altec Valancia) speakers at +/-102dB efficiency. Should be a religious experience. Can't wait!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0723_(1).jpg (43.3 KB, 237 views)
Old 21st November 2012, 06:19 PM   #24
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

That is a very nice kit...the st35 is a good sized amp...the st70 should give you ample headroom.
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:16 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cohen View Post
I'm with you. Gathering parts for a scratch build is not the most fun part of this hobby for me. I just started building a TS - Son of Beast and all the parts came in the box...nice! The instruction book looks very clear as well. I have built 3 of his components already and they are all excellent.

Son of Beast OTL Tube Amp

It's a 15W P-P push/pull OTL. Kit was $749 sans tubes. I just got it yesterday and got the chassis mostly populated in a couple of hours. I should have it wired and fired sometime over the holiday weekend. I'll be driving Heathkit AS101 (Altec Valancia) speakers at +/-102dB efficiency. Should be a religious experience. Can't wait!
What is idle power consumption like for this OTL amplifier? ah:
Reduction of heat. Draws only 1.4 amps at 120V. (0.7 amps on 230-240V)

168 WATTS!!???

Is that at maximum output or at idle? *pulls EL509 datasheet* 126 watts for all 8x + 7.56watts for 4x 12AT7's = 133.56 watts without power transformer losses, at idle.

YIKES

Forgive me for saying, but 168 watts down the tube for 30 watts out? no thanks... enjoy your kit tho, I love kits!

I really like the idea of tube rolling with the ST-70 tho...

Oh wow, I had a set of Custom 15's and I let them go, oh well they didn't have a tweeter like yours has :P

Last edited by freax; 22nd November 2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:38 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

FINAL CALL

Any further suggestions must be submitted by the end of this weekend. (Monday Morning at 9AM AEST)

ATM the current contender is the Dynaco ST-70 kit from http://triodestore.com/st70buildkit.html

I've emailed them with a quote for postage of $229.95 which brings the total cost down to...

$964.90

Last edited by freax; 22nd November 2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:42 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

I'm confused. Are you concerned about your carbon footprint?
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:49 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cohen View Post
I'm confused. Are you concerned about your carbon footprint?
No, nothing as silly as that with our power coming from coal power stations.

Electricity here is amazingly expensive, even though it comes from coal.

As a test, get your power bill and DOUBLE the figure on it.

My last power bill was $350 for 3 months, and I don't own an aircon, I used to have a Core 2 Quad with a GTX260 which would draw about 160 watts at idle, I don't paticularly feel like going back to those days as I now have a Core i3 2120-T.

Last edited by freax; 22nd November 2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:56 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

But as far as I can see, the ST-70 draws about 175W. Sure you get more headroom, but how often are you using 35W output anyways? I'm running a 3W cathode follower now and it makes my ears bleed when I turn it up through an efficient pair of speakers. I was playing an old 45RPM Frankie Goes to Hollywood club mix of Relax (yes, I'm that old) the other day, and the sound pressure was thumping my chest. I can't imagine what a real 15W is going to do.

And I can't wait to hear what this OTL sound is all about. From what I've gathered, it's well worth a little extra tube heat.
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:59 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Indeed, I just figured that out.

Well there is one reason why, the use of more powerful/less efficient drivers.

And I can get new old stock EL34's or 12AU7's and adjust the colouring of the sound

You never know I might come across a driver that I just love the sound of but 15 watts is just going to waste.

Upgrading the speakers is next, and for 1 grand, an ST-70 could go a long way to building a nice large and loud 8 inch full range driver system with a 15 inch driver on the floor facing down.

I also like it loud sometimes, so 35w per ch is awesome, I could live with the ST-35 but if I'm going to fork out 1g on an amplifier then why not go for the ST-70 vs the ST-35?, even if its only 3db-4db louder than 15 watts.

Ontop of that, I know what the EL84 tube sounds like, we've had them in amps here the world over, so for me to spend 1 grand on an EL84 tube amp is just silly to me, don't get me wrong I do love the sound of it but I think its time to move on.

With the ST-70 I can lower the distortion by driving it with less input on more efficient speakers, like the Frugalhorn

The original idea was to get a reference amp for under 1g and less than 20 watts.

I now realise that reference grade within this budget requires not the best sound but the most common tube around, the EL34 does that.

I also need training, I need to know what tube sounds like what, and then go from there, I need to burn in tubes and I need to burn in drivers, and re-gain my footing.

The ST-70 will let me do that. So yes its out of specifications for the original request, but who has built a house and not had to make changes mid-way?

Last edited by freax; 22nd November 2012 at 02:28 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!