• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Homemade EL84 Push-Pull amp doesn't work

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello there, sorry to hear that there is no music..... Very difficult to work out your problem without 'seeing' and knowing just what and how you have built the amp....
Maybe you could post some photos of both the top and bottom of both the amp and powersupply section.....

You could start by checking that the powersupply actually does produce a well smoothed 250V DC. Are you using smoothing capacitors or a choke ????? Heater wiring method and placement also a possible !!!!

Also earthing could be an issue. Also an EF86 is very prone to pick up stray signals when not shielded...

OK then, very best with your project and I am sure that someone will be able to help, but with the VERY LIMITTED info., it is very difficult to even start to imagine what you have there....

Keep well and keep us informed...

Last edited:
No, you don't need DC heaters, especially on the output stage.

You probably have a wiring error, or a heater-cathode short in an EL84. Measure the DC voltage at the EL84 cathode with both valves in, then with each separately - but do the 'one EL84' measurement quickly as the valve may be taking too much current.

Check the output transformer wiring too. Some P-P circuits rely on hum cancellation in the output transformer, but miswiring can stop this from happening.

No, you don't need DC heaters, especially on the output stage.

You probably have a wiring error, or a heater-cathode short in an EL84. Measure the DC voltage at the EL84 cathode with both valves in, then with each separately - but do the 'one EL84' measurement quickly as the valve may be taking too much current.

Check the output transformer wiring too. Some P-P circuits rely on hum cancellation in the output transformer, but miswiring can stop this from happening.

I have 5 EL84 tubes, and all of them creates this annoying sound. :mad:

That means that one side of the heathers must be tied to ground.
Better: use two equal resistors in the 50 to 100 ohms range from each side of the heater to ground.

Yves.

So that means, i need to connect both side of the heater winding on the transformer to the main 250V power supply ground through a 50-100Ohm resistor? I can do that. :) I'll be right back after a few minutes.

You probably have a wiring error, or a heater-cathode short in an EL84.

Agree. If you get nothing but buzz you wired something wrong using that schematic it should at least play music. Recheck all your connections and solder joints. Any detailed shots of the interior of the amp?

If you have a DMM which I assume you do, what are the voltage readings on the tube pins and your rail voltage supplies feeding each plate? This should give us/you a good idea of what's going wrong.

Looking at the reverse recovery characteristics of the diodes, I would put a 10nF cap in series with a 10R resistor across each diode (from cathode to anode) in the ps. It does not matter which end the cap goes to. This is a snubber or Zobel and will help with switching noise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.