• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Modifying a J Sound Lab 2A3 amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to everyone,

First of all I would like to say hello to everybody here. It is my first post in this forum and I am not sure if it is placed correctly. I do not know much about electronic, but I want to learn in order to make other projects.

I have never tried a diy project but I want to start trying to modify a J Sound Lab 2A3 amplifier.

What I would like to modify is the rca and speaker sockets which are on the top of the amplifier and I want to make a new chassis with them in the back side.

The next modification would be, place the potentiometer in the front side with a switch which allow to disable it, I would like to change it by an alps one, but I do not know which is the suitable. I wonder if it is possible...

There is also a deep noise by the speakers when you switch on without music, once you play music it desappear I have read it could be a matter of a lack of direct and stabilized current in the 2A3 tubes, somebody could help me how can I eliminate.

If anybody has an idea to improve it please tell me, I would be very grateful.

I upload a picture of it.

Thanks for all, regards.

Attachments

• _MG_7429.jpg
    _MG_7429.jpg
    970.2 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Hello! Welcome to the forum. The Pyrenees are a beautiful place - you are lucky to live there! the usual advice to a beginner is to buy a copy of Morgan Jones "Tube Amplifiers" and read it a few times. Edition 3 is in book form, but even if you see a cheap edition 2 that's good too for the basics. Edition 4 is electronic and expensive. Really, a tutorial in Spanish would be good for you. Do other Spanish speakers know of any?

When I look inside the chassis myself I would rip the whole circuit out and start again! But for quick modifications, replace the 2a3 electrolytic cathode bypasses with polypropylene film caps - whatever size goes in there. 100uf would be good but even 47uF in a film cap would sound better. And the cathode resistors are pretty horrible too - those white ceramic ones. Go for green 14W Welwyn W24 wirewound ones. I'd be wanting to put two interstage transformers in there somewhere - maybe Lundahl LL1635/20mA would fit. And then use an input tube like 5842 or otherwise D3A or EF184 or E280F or E180F in triode or something like it. You might need a preamp but that would be another good project.

This might all be a bit advanced for where you are now - do you have a friend who could help and knows tube stuff?

Last edited:
Hi,
It is good to see the actual build of J Labs amplifier as it definitely looks different than the pictures on their website. The quality of build looks quite horrible...
To address the problem of hum I would install humpots on 2a3 cathodes. I can see some kind of rectifier with bridge and one cap, I assume it is for signal tube fillaments - you need to replace that with better regulated dc board.

As Andy said, the whole thing looks bad, I woul keep the chassis but rip the guts out and build something decent at least.

Are those octal sockets on the input? Hard to see. There's a loctal C3G in triode, or make an octal-9 pin bodge to fill in the existing socket space. I'm sure there are options. Me, I'd use a 4P1L and then use a preamp with it. That would need a DC supply like Rod Coleman's boards. I'd then take the power supply outboard. But that's too much for a beginner.

hi, would there be a big difference if 20uF polypropylene film cap is used instead of 47uF or 100uF in cathode bypass?

Hello! Welcome to the forum. The Pyrenees are a beautiful place - you are lucky to live there! the usual advice to a beginner is to buy a copy of Morgan Jones "Tube Amplifiers" and read it a few times. Edition 3 is in book form, but even if you see a cheap edition 2 that's good too for the basics. Edition 4 is electronic and expensive. Really, a tutorial in Spanish would be good for you. Do other Spanish speakers know of any?

When I look inside the chassis myself I would rip the whole circuit out and start again! But for quick modifications, replace the 2a3 electrolytic cathode bypasses with polypropylene film caps - whatever size goes in there. 100uf would be good but even 47uF in a film cap would sound better. And the cathode resistors are pretty horrible too - those white ceramic ones. Go for green 14W Welwyn W24 wirewound ones. I'd be wanting to put two interstage transformers in there somewhere - maybe Lundahl LL1635/20mA would fit. And then use an input tube like 5842 or otherwise D3A or EF184 or E280F or E180F in triode or something like it. You might need a preamp but that would be another good project.

This might all be a bit advanced for where you are now - do you have a friend who could help and knows tube stuff?

Hi,
It is good to see the actual build of J Labs amplifier as it definitely looks different than the pictures on their website. The quality of build looks quite horrible...
To address the problem of hum I would install humpots on 2a3 cathodes. I can see some kind of rectifier with bridge and one cap, I assume it is for signal tube fillaments - you need to replace that with better regulated dc board.

As Andy said, the whole thing looks bad, I woul keep the chassis but rip the guts out and build something decent at least.

It is not the new one, it is the older design. I am not sure but the new one has a rectifier tube though, apart from that, it seems quite similar.
Anyway I tried twice to put in contact with them, about the deep noise, and I am still waiting for the reply...

Thanks, I found the book in English on the net, I will have a look.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.