Filter capacitors - motor run? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2012, 03:41 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
its continuous DC bias at higher V that stresses dielectric

if "toughness" is just surviving seconds of transients then its no indication

Higher DC fields drive different degradation/breakdown phenomena to penetrate a dielectric over time - opto isolator WVDC ratings are lots lower than the 1, 60 sec withstand test V because of this

I'm suspicious that maybe the datasheet writers are just doing the AC Vpk math - and may have never tested at 1000s of hrs with DC bias
Ok but I do'nt see the opto isolator correlation to polyprop motor caps. Please go on . As for the 1000s of hours of test would years of use over the rating suffice or is there some other lab rating that will do ? The stress of dc bias and resulting failure is not to be taken lightly some examples of such would help there should be from the manufactures web sites. Regards
Old 24th December 2012, 04:37 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

"Motor caps" rated at a certain AC voltage must withstand shutoff transients of 6 to 10 times running voltage. That is what motors put out if not transient suppressed. If you put a scope in a factory AC line, that is what you will see. So that sort of explains why film motor caps are so huge. I imagine the 1000 VDC rating of my 500 VAC genilec caps in my organ is very conservative. I don't expect to ever replace them, not at the current a 5AR can deliver to them. Heat is one thing that really kllls plastic film. Won't get much of that in hifi service, unless the mounting postition is wrong.

Hide this!Advertise here!