• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Question about 4x12 cabinet wiring

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This might be in the wrong place to post this thread *if so Mod please notify me and remove/replace where it is appropriate*

I have a 4x12 guitar speaker cabinet that I want to wire up with a custom wiring configuration... This is meant to be a recording only cabinet that will remain in my studio... I essentially want to have 4 different 16 ohm speakers... 1 V30, 1 CL80, a 12-75, and an H30, I know how to wire 4 speakers in series/parallel but in addition to that "all-4 speaker" ts/trs input jack, I want to have 4 more independent inputs that I can run 1 single speaker at a time (so one 1/4 inch ts jack for top left, one 1/4 inch ts for top right, 1/4 inch ts bottom left, and 1/4 inch ts bottom right)

again in addition to this, I want to have 2 more inputs that will run 2 of the speakers per input, in either top left bottom right configuration or top right bottom left configuration.

and here is where I get crazy, in addition to ALL OF THAT I want to have an input that runs top 2 and bottom two, and an input that could run Left 2 and right 2 speakers, as well as an output feed to power another 4x12 cabinet...

sounds ridiculous doesn't it ha ha... :D

I pretty much would like to be able to use any variation of speaker any configuration possible, whether running 4 heads into 1 speaker each, or choosing which 2 speakers to use at the same time with 2 heads or just 1 head running it all.

my understanding of logic is not that great, so when I tried working this out, I got overwhelmed and my brain started to tickle :confused: , I dont know of any way to do it without using *marshall cab style* switches, and even that way seems rough, plus I'm trying to cut on costs by using only TS, and/or TRS 1/4 inch connectors, so any input on how to do it with or without would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys :)

you need an autotransformer or autoformer. most common use in your senrio is to have banna jacks for the amp out and banana jacks for each speaker. attach a copy of the schematic right on the back of the box and patch accoding to your needs. I don't think your going to be able to rotary switch this. Be advised.....what you get out of this is based on what you put into it.....so...the better the transformer...the better your power handling...bandwith...and tone.

Attachments

• group2.jpg
    group2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 39
  • group3.jpg
    group3.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 41
  • group1.jpg
    group1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.