• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ecc99 preamp into an amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, my first here.

I know its probably a typical newbie question, but it hunts me for some time.

I've completed a ecc99 preamp (1x ez81 into 1x ecc99) and since i use high sensitivity speakers for near-field listening only, i'm ok with ~ 400mW pc.

Is it possible to drive 6-8 Ohm speakers directly just by changing the output stage for transformer-type ?

If yes, are there any recommendations for OT ?

Is it possible to stay running in SE mode then ?

For now i'd like to stay as simple as it can be, not to fall in to searching and spending for power triodes, building a whole amp etc.

Thanks for any opinions and patience.

nice weekend,
misok

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
with a few more ecc99

if you could make you preamp with balanced out, it might be easier to build a ecc99 'power buffer'
but then, might be better to think twice and use a better tube

I remember now, I think there is a guitar amp with a single ecc99, somewhere
might have high distortion tho, I dont know

also seen a very simple and cheap EL84-EL84
SE EL84, does it need a driver at all ? I dont know
or just a crazy thought, SE 6V6-6V6
I know, too much crazyness :D

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
..... near-field listening only, i'm ok with ~ 400mW pc.

For now i'd like to stay as simple as it can be.......

you can try this with a battery
sorry its not a tube thing

Attachments

• lm386.gif
    lm386.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 273
  • lm383 big.gif
    lm383 big.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 275
Joined 2009
Paid Member
You'll need a low output impedance. A handful of ECC99s in parallel in a OTL configuration with some global negative feedback should be able to get you there.

If you want the OPT in there, I suggest grabbing RDH4 or Morgan Jones' book and draw some load lines. The ECC99 is a very linear tube. You shouldn't have any trouble finding an operating point that'll work. Ra is a bit on the high side compared to power tubes, so you'll probably end up with an OPT in the 10 kOhm range. That's my guess anyway.

~Tom

many thanks for all reactions.

1. i know i have to study much more to have a sufficiently complex overview. it is in (some) progress

2. i admit i tend to think like 'i have to go SET since that is the essence of tube charisma' ..too biased i guess, i see a p-p scheme and i run away..things like that. I read odes on DHTs and dream like a little boy..'if im going to throw myself into building something, it has to be something 'real' and so on. 2a3 and 45 are out of my range but look, here i have a dual triode on my shelf, lets try to squeeze some mWs.

in the ecc99 datasheet i rode '4x ecc99 - 10w' and i thought great, there should be way to get at least 0.5w from one. but i see the impedance would be another obstacle.

i may forget messing with this preamp, use it with my ta2024 based power amp and search for a simple SET charlize-like schematics based on non-mainstream triodes.

all the best,
misok

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.