My Mighty Midget - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2012, 10:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My Mighty Midget

I've finally finished my Mighty Midget. Picts below. Thanks to Pete Millett for a great first project PCB and instruction.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mighty Midget.jpg (455.3 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg Frontside.jpg (407.9 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg Backside.jpg (384.7 KB, 311 views)

Last edited by tom42107; 16th October 2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old 16th October 2012, 07:28 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Are those the GXSE output transformers? I heard the new ones now have end bells. Unfortunately, I bought mine before they made that change...
Old 16th October 2012, 12:42 PM   #3
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

When did you buy your GXSEs?

I bought some over a year ago and they came with end bells. I really like them. Well worth the extra price over the XSEs.
Old 16th October 2012, 05:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yeah, those are GSXE output trans. I guess I bought them a little less than a year ago. Edcor offers a package for this amp, https://www.edcorusa.com/p/967/pm-102-240.

Tom
Old 16th October 2012, 08:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to edcorusa
Nice looking amp. :-)
Old 16th October 2012, 11:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks. It was really a learning experience, as far as the chassis work goes. There are a couple of things I would definitely do different if I did it again. I'm still not sure about the volume knob and I want to add a piece of brass to the top, around the tube sockets, just to clean them up. I think the sound is really good. It's my first tube amp so I have nothing to compare it to. I'm just going to listen for a while, to the music I'm used to, and get a feel for it. The PCB is Pete Millet's and it went together really well, with a very good BOM. I guess the pcb is intended for beginners, which I am, and I think if you bought the transformer and choke package from Edcor and the case from Front Panel Express, you would have no problems. All in all a really fun amp.

Tom
Old 17th October 2012, 03:09 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I bought my GXSEs at least a couple of years ago (I bought 6) so I'll have to hide them under the chassis until I run out. A pair are currently in residence in my "Shrine" hybrid SE amp - my first tube amp ever.

Hide this!Advertise here!