• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Over Four Tons Of Tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, 320,000 tubes and the current bid is over 2 MILLION DOLLARS! Are the bidders smoking CRACK!

I was given a lot of 100,000 tubes for FREE. If I was offered the same lot of 100K tubes again for free, I would NOT take it. It took me about 5 years to sort through them all. Most were totally useless radar and military tubes. It cost me nearly 10K in rent for the warehouse I kept them in for 5 years. After it was all said and done, I have kept about 5,000 tubes, so they cost me about $2 each...and 5 years worth of work. Not a bad deal, but not a great deal either.

This deal costs the bidder about $6 per tube BEFORE the junk is weeded out. Those few usable tubes could get real expensive.

Not exactly a ton of tubes....

But I did get a pretty good pile at the Gray Hamfest (Held at the Bristol Race track).

It was pretty much on par with last year. Not really big, but hopefully it will improve. No manufacturer reps this year.

As usual there were some people selling tubes for stupid prices. Grungy looking 6AS7 without a box for $8?

I found a tail-gaiter selling a bunch of TV tubes, mostly odd stuff. I picked a few in boxes including some 6HV5s for $0.50 each. He had two big boxes of tubes that looked like about half were pulled from TV sets. I offered him $10 each and he took it.

I spent two hours sorting them and throwing out the obviously bad ones.

Here is what's left.

The two boxes stacked in the back have been filtered and are mostly 6AU6/12AU6/triode/pentode combo tubes with a smattering of 6AK5s for good measure. I'll go through them another time. There are probably 1000 tubes in the two boxes, if not more.

I've got probably a hundred small output tubes like 50C5, 6AQ5, 6CL6, 6197, 6EM5, 6AS5, etc.

There is probably an equal number of triodes, and a few strange tubes like an RK60 which has two caps which might be grids, or might not. The plates are in parallel.

Anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• Tubes-9-20-12.jpg
    Tubes-9-20-12.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 388
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.