• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

L channel lower output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder if someone can help me methodically troubleshoot...

I have a SET I built (see link: PCL86 Piccolo Triode Amplifier) that I am re discovering my love of.
Ive had it stored for about 2 years and recently switched it back in to my main system. When I applied power initially the L channel was dead and after some minutes crackled to life.
I swapped to the tubes over and it continued to work OK but with the occasional crackle noise, so I swapped in a new pair. Things seemed to clear up.

I have been running in a new DAC and have it on for about 2 weeks and now when I listen, it seems the L channel is lower in volume but still clean and clear. The resulting soundstaging is R channel dominant now, with images I know should be central sounding too R heavy.

I tried swapping + and - on L speaker to see if it was out of phase.

I checked the speakers and they are wired OK and I changed the cables over to isolate the fact that it is not them.

Oh and I cleaned my ears out, so its not me :)

I'm guessing it might be a cap in the power supply or signal path but can someone help me (a complete novice) measure or ascertain where and how to find the fault please?

Many thanks.

Martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.