• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

GZ37 substitutes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I’m looking for an alternative to a GZ37 rectifier tube, which, due to scarcity, has become prohibitively expensive. I use- one per power amp channel- a GZ37 rectified choke input power supply. 500-0- 500 V ac in, 30H choke, 440u cap, ~ 420V out.

The current at idle is about 100mA, but, to allow good dynamic behaviour, and also to accommodate a possible future shunt regulator, etc, I need a minimum continuous current rating of 200 mA minimum (preferably more- the GZ37 is capable of > 300mA with a choke input).

The replacement must be indirectly heated, with a heater requirement of 5 or 6.3 V @ 3A or less.

Unless there’s some ex-Soviet wonder I’ve missed, I’m guess I’m looking for suitable damper diodes. A pair of single rectifiers would be OK, as long as a single heater tap for both is permissible- the typically high heater to cathode voltage ratings of damper diodes would permit this I guess. If I need a pair, a noval configuration might be easier to accommodate, but this isn’t critical.

Any suggestions? Ones that have satisfied users in practice as well as in theory preferred!

Many thanks

Paul N

Hi

I’m looking for an alternative to a GZ37 rectifier tube, which, due to scarcity, has become prohibitively expensive. I use- one per power amp channel- a GZ37 rectified choke input power supply. 500-0- 500 V ac in, 30H choke, 440u cap, ~ 420V out.

The current at idle is about 100mA, but, to allow good dynamic behaviour, and also to accommodate a possible future shunt regulator, etc, I need a minimum continuous current rating of 200 mA minimum (preferably more- the GZ37 is capable of > 300mA with a choke input).

The replacement must be indirectly heated, with a heater requirement of 5 or 6.3 V @ 3A or less.

Unless there’s some ex-Soviet wonder I’ve missed, I’m guess I’m looking for suitable damper diodes. A pair of single rectifiers would be OK, as long as a single heater tap for both is permissible- the typically high heater to cathode voltage ratings of damper diodes would permit this I guess. If I need a pair, a noval configuration might be easier to accommodate, but this isn’t critical.

Any suggestions? Ones that have satisfied users in practice as well as in theory preferred!

Many thanks

Paul N

Here is a list I've been using since forever.

Cheers,
Carlos

http://www.fourwater.com/files/fullrect.txt

That is a very nice list.

One additional piece of information that would be helpful would be the height of the tube excluding the pins.

In particular, the GZ34/5AR4 (2-53/64", Amperex) is often used in an enclosed chassis where the overall height is critical most 5U4s (4-3/16", RCA)would not fit in my Monarch Receiver.

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/049/5/5U4GB.pdf

Same for many 5Y3s (4-1/16", 5Y3-G,RCA) However the 5Y3-GT by RCA looks like it might fit as seated height is shown as 2-13/15".

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/049/5/5Y3G.pdf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.