• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

One tube radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was just reading a russian forum and I found this project. Its a radio receptor, with the tube 6ba6, I supose that its for AM or SW bands. I have some 6ba6 laying around here, so I decided to give a try to this radio. Anyone can explain to me how this works?

Note: I dont know how this coil have to be.. A conventional ferrite coil from a AM radio may work? And any chance to try a FM coil (if i change the variable to 5~60pf) ?

Attachments

• 6BA6regen.gif
    6BA6regen.gif
    18.5 KB · Views: 221
Yes, that's an AM broadcast band setup. Change the tuning "tank" and it will work on the longer SW bands. The circuit is a grid leak detector, with regenerative (positive) feedback. The feedback control is adjusted to bring things just shy of oscillating. You will hear a "plop", when oscillation starts. Should that occur, you have to back all the way off and start over.

For a 1 tube FM setup, a super regenerative detector is in order. Look here.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Regenerative radio receivers can be a lot of fun, one thing to bear in mind is that they can (and often do) radiate RF on the antenna if allowed to actually oscillate which can be a problem when used for CW or SSB reception (badly in this case), since SW and BC bands generally use AM this should not be a problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.