• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What resistors to use on KT88s tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My KT88 power amp requires 2 and 5 watt resistors on the grid, screen (?), and cathodes. I was thinking Kiwami's here, just because someone told me he had good experience with these in this application because of their slightly warm balance. I was told the Mills noninductive resistors are also good, but how do these compare to the Kiwami? Any other recommendations? Thanks.

I replaced Kiwame cathode resistors in my Simple SE SET amp with Mills a few months ago. It uses a 12BH4 driver > EL34 triode strapped, no feedback.

Personally, I would not use Kiwame again, IMO they are a bad recommendation for hi fi. They are a tone control that warms (distorts) and softens the sound, with an accompanying loss of resolution. The Mills were a noticeable improvement, they sound much cleaner and I hear more detail in the music. Kiwame are also relabeled from another brand that costs under $.50, I forget which one.

My advise is to mix types of resistors, because they each have an effect on the sound and if you use different types it will spread out the effects. I would only use carbon comp as gridstopper. If price isn't a factor I'd look into Vishay bulk film types, they are too rich for me at nearly $10 each but people who try them seem to like them.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:up: I'll just echo and say my experience with the Kiwame was exactly the same.

I would not use carbon comp resistors in any circuit where a high current fault can occur, I've seen more than one of them go up in flames when a tube runs away. Very smelly and can damage other nearby components. This is true also for many carbon film types as well.

Then there's solid carbon (ancient and extinct) and (modern) thick film. I use those last for high power solutions like in a regulator. Any thoughts besides the price? (Dave, in europe they have the same price as those 10W Mills WW ;)).

Last edited:
20to20, Rasta? Can you give me a link?

Looking for my links to the company...

Here's one I use in my PS.

Attachments

• Cool_runners.jpg
    Cool_runners.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
20t20, thanks for the pic, but there is no way for me to order something like this without a link to the manufacturer or seller. I keep on coming up with Reggae stuff when I google the name.

Yes, that's going to happen. Rasta and reggae are joined at the hip. But when you find them and get some Cool Runners in your amp you'll have that smoothness of reggae and the truth of Rasta flowing through those KT88's for the first time in their life.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.