Headphone output - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2012, 01:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Headphone output

Hi, being a relative newcomer to valve amps, I have a mengyue mini valve amp of about 12w per channel that I would like to add a headphone output to ideally via a separate jack that would isolate the speakers when plugged in.
I'm reasonably competent at electronics, can someone explain the easiest way to accomplish this. I'm using a set of Grado sr80 headphones, I'm unsure of the impedance of these?
Any help much appreciated,
Tom
Old 1st October 2012, 05:36 PM   #2
disco is offline disco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

32 ohms. If you'd live near I could trade you a set of 5W output transformers (1:24). That would be a simple solution
Old 1st October 2012, 10:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I did this once with an EL84 SET amplifier. The approach I took was to put a resistor in parallel with the headphones on the secondary of the OPT. This gives the output stage an 8ohm load.

for 32 ohms, a 12 ohm resistor or something close to that should be just fine.

don't blow out your ears...
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

hi all, as I said, ideally would like to mute main speakers when plugged into amp via jack,would have to drill chassis to fix in jack for h/phones. As i've no experience of doing this a drawing may be the best idea if anyone could help,i can supply a photo of amp internals if needed?
many thanks for any help,
tom.
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I usually wire my amps so that the headphone jack is always on, and the speakers are turned on or off by a small switch next to the speaker terminals. Works for me.
Old 4th October 2012, 02:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmoose View Post
The approach I took was to put a resistor in parallel with the headphones on the secondary of the OPT. This gives the output stage an 8ohm load...don't blow out your ears...
Maybe an voltage divider made by two resistors to reduce the level going to the headphones might be an additional improvement. This could be adjusted the way that the headphones have subjectively the same listening level as your speakers in use.
That way, one would not accidentally start with a deafening volume setting.

Cheers,
Martin

Hide this!Advertise here!