• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Volume increases as amp warms up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All
I bought a Knight 93 SX 670 amp and when I received it the the out side of the chassis was ok for its age but when I took the cover off the plate that holds all of the components had been pushed in so I cut it out and rebuilt it . The opt is original but had made separate 5volt 6.3 volt and ht transformers made re did the lay out for the tubes as they were all very close to each other generally made it neater and easier to work on and all new components . The problem is as it warms up about 5 minutes the volume increases so does the distortion to the point where the volume pot is turned right down .It happens on both channels .
Have swapped all the tubes but no change . The transformers get barely warm and I am at a bit of a loss at what to do next .The only change I made was to swap the input tube from a 6SC7 to 6SL7 . Can someone please help.
Thanks
Nigel

Hi Jane
Thanks for the reply . I have rewired the grid and cathode . The amp works and sounds good for a lunch box amp all except for when it warms up . All the components are new except the opt . When its cold the volume is quite low in comparison to when it warms up .
Nigel

During the rebuild I left the phono circuit out . As far as the tube being gassy there is no visible blue glow and I don't have a valve checker but do suspect it could be a bit of a problem , may have to change it back to a 6SC7 and see what happens .
Thanks
Nigel

Thank you for your advice DF96 it's been running for about twenty minutes now and all is fine . I will put the phono circuit back in and have ordered some better quality pots , these one's don't even fully turn off . I have made two two amps and a active crossover from scratch all of them worked so have not been able to develop any trouble shooting skills . I now can put my nos 6L6G's to see how they sound .
Thanks Again
Nigel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.