• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New 6V6 Build - Suggestions Needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
really the jj would probably sound smoother with 450v on plates even when cranked up the bias on them they still did not smooth out like at all that same sterile piercing highs pull them out put in those early 50s GE/kenrads smoke glass they did NOT like those voltages at all lasted about 2 weeks then went gassy but that was an AMAZING toneful 2 weeks haha smooth creamy highs to die for lol

Hit EPay for a nice old school Variac with dual meters, it has been very helpful in testing and bringing new amps online with a watchful eye. I have one that has a low and high range as well as volt and watt meters. I would not risk pluging in the stuff I design without out one (Note to self : improve Self Confidance)

Sandy

I wouldn't lower it that much starving filaments shortening tube life is not exactly great idea in my opinion but I think there is a noticeable sweep/increase in even order harmonics I honestly hear more chime and sparkle with it lower, now as it increase it gets gritter/harder is that because the odd orders are becoming more noticeable?

I was always really interested in how drugs/alcohol can effect it too if only temporally its almost like with me they cancel out more odd order harmonics and tones, not all of them obviously but like masking them is how I would describe it letting those even order and fundamental tones shine and be more pronounced, straying into way more psychological correlation's and physics involved with it lol stuff is really something else haha, a world of unknowns and craziness I guess lol

I mainly use the Variac on the start up and testing of the new amp. One thing that is really good is that you can see things come up slow before you blow something. Also the watt meter is helpful to 'see' things before you might get a scope on it, ie, I saw motorboating in one amp as the watt meter was pulsing a bit. It's a great tool!

Sandy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.