Problems with PT325.2i - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2012, 11:13 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

You might compare with an ordinary DMM (non-RMS) to see how bad the waveform is - they'll agree at lower levels but diverge near saturation as the waveform gets more peaked.
Old 11th October 2012, 01:00 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Here's the comparison between the Musical Power Supplies PT275 V2 and the Hammond 270FX. The excitation current of the Hammond was much higher than expected. In both transformers, the excitation starts out pretty linear, then takes off after ~100VAC. Both transformers are edgeing into saturation at high input voltage. I can see now why the Hammond has a rep for buzzing and heating up...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xfmr.JPG (47.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 11th October 2012, 05:02 AM   #23
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

^how about extending to say 180 volts? only goes to show that the Hammond has fewer turns than the china job....
Old 11th October 2012, 05:47 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Why? These are only 115/120V transformers.
Old 11th October 2012, 05:54 AM   #25
diyAudio Moderator

yes, but it is interesting to find if the 2 curves will ever meet at some point...180 is not too high to cause saturation if testing only for a few minutes or even seconds...when they meet it will mean that the hammonds are using better quality irons...

heating up at idle and buzzing under load are two different things...
Old 11th October 2012, 06:23 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

You can try it if you want to - I'm done.
Old 11th October 2012, 06:27 AM   #27
diyAudio Moderator

no problem, so from your results, the china traffo is actually better than the Hammond traffo......we can stop at that...i would also bet that the china traffo has a higher primary dc resistance than the Hammond indicating that it had more primary turns to explain the lower idle current....
Old 11th October 2012, 10:31 AM   #28
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Yes, both transformers are already gently entering saturation at below their rated voltage. Adding a secondary load will help, as the effective primary voltage will drop due to resistance.

It would be interesting to compare an expensive transformer, such as a Sowter.
Old 11th October 2012, 05:36 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I test transformers at 144V 60 Hz (20% high) as a quick check of 50 Hz capability - if current rises rapidly with voltage, it isn't good for 50 Hz. The Hammond isn't rated for 50 Hz so has fewer primary turns. 10% more turns or 20% more core area is required for 50 Hz to give the same core flux as at 60. 10% more wire either way... there ain't no free lunch.
Old 11th October 2012, 06:57 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

As a note, both transformers were tested at 60 Hz, and the PT275 was tested using its 120V tap - a best-case scenario. Both of the transformers are wound for 115V service only. I have heard that the 115/230V Hammonds are better quality, but I don't have one around to test this. All the rest of my power suppply iron is OOS. It might be interesting to take one of my old Fisher power transformers and subject it to the same test. I also have some old Halldorson iron that might be worth a try.

Hide this!Advertise here!