• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

VLS631 Thermal Delay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's like a thermostat. It closes when hot and opens when cold. The "coil" is a heater.

When current is applied through the heater, it takes a certain amount of time to heat up then close the contact hence the delay. When the current is turned off, It takes a certain amount of time to cool off before opening.

That's how I think it works :)

Last edited:
The one I used has a biometalic strip which switches the +B load of about 200mA at 350V. The tube I use is wired in series with the power supply (+B) and the drain resistor applies the initial heater current to switch it. Delay is about 10secs in this configuration. Maybe a slightly different type to the ones you have.

Shoog

I only tried using this because I had one salvaged.
Generally I use a very simple single transistor relay driver for my time delay which has worked flawlessly in all the configurations I have tried.

Shoog

Attachments

• Scanned Document.jpg
    Scanned Document.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 72
I had a tube similar to that which came out of a Tektronix Oscilloscope.

6N045T

I used it to switch B+ (300V) to a 6P1P PP amp for a while. It eventually failed, but I suspect it had a crack in the base.

It uses a bi-metalic thermal strip which works quite well.

Hi Snoog

Yeah I know these circuits are all over the web but I was just keen to get another piece of glowing glass into my projects :)

I just can't see how the relay will reset once triggered by the thermal switch??

Cheers

I have some of these too. They use a bimetal strip that bends when heated due to applied current. They are quite slow in operation (not like the snap action of a relay) so they are not suitable for high HT voltages.
Also, the bimetal takes about 500mA of heater current to operate (and that is needed continuously) so they are a mixed blessing.

Gary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.